

Yesterday I watched Wendy and Lucy, one of last year's indie gems starring Michelle Williams. I read a review online describing the lack of emotion in the film which left me quite puzzled as I found the film to be emotionally explosive. I thought of it as a more subtle brand of emotion - quiet and reposed rather than loud and boisterous.Williams plays a drifter named Wendy on a journey from Indiana to Alaska to find work. The film focuses on her relationship with her dog, Lucy, and the people she encounters in small-town Oregon where her car breaks down. With the burden of her financial situation weighing on her shoulders, Wendy makes a series of decisions that shape the time spent in a locale that should have been long gone in her rear-view mirror.
Have you seen this film? Care to share your thoughts?
Image source.
11 comments:
i havent seen it yet, but i love michelle williams, so it's definitely on my list.
my best friend however saw it and said it was way too depressing for her.
i really want to see this, hope it's not too depressing...
This is the first I've heard of it. Sounds intriguing.
I haven't even heard of this before (gah, we're so behind!), but I really want to see it now. I like films that are subtle and quiet in portraying emotions. I find it more believable and engaging than the ones that are over the top.
I wanted to see it when it came to the independent theater in town, but the boy didn't want to. I heard it it was quite sad.
I have this movie in my Netflix queue, but I have yet to watch it. I have pets so I'm a little vulnerable of films with a relationship aspect to it.
I haven't seen it, but it sounds interesting. I definitely like movies that are more subtle in that sense.
Re your comment: I totally understood exactly what you mean about it making it difficult to relate to people. I really don't feel comfortable being myself around of a lot of people I know, because they just don't get it. Ugh...
I havent seen it! I better check it out.
I have seen it but unfortunately could only make it to the point where she's lost her dog, and ends up sleeping in the bushes where she encounters that quite scary homeless man whom she's terrified of. I didn't think it was emotionless. It's just one of those quiet movies which I really need to work to get into but then am glad I did. How did you find it?
Hmm... this seems right up my alley. I watched "Winter Passing" last week and was suitably bemused and bewildered, so "Wendy and Lucy" seems worth a try. Thanks for your recommendation!
Know what I'm dying to see? Ponyo! Wish you were around here to go with me. I revel in our Miyazaki film fests! :)
I was afraid it would be too sad! I have a strict happy-films-only policy. But it does look beautiful.
Post a Comment