Tuesday, August 11, 2009

"There are things that drift away like our endless numbered days"

First off, I want to thank everyone for all the nice comments left about my photographs in my two previous posts (and the post here as well). I enjoyed taking them and it's fun sharing them with a wider audience than just the people I encounter on a daily basis. At the same time that I had my vacation film developed I also took in a few rolls of mystery film that had been forgotten about. After picking them up from the developing center I was quite amused with what I found. There were some photos I didn't even remember taking which made the experience all the more pleasantly surprising. I'll be sure to share some of them in the near future.

Other than the recent posts with my vacation photos most of my update ideas have required the use of a digital camera - something of which I do not own. The display screen on mine broke last summer and since then I've been using a digital camera belonging to a family member. Their camera is currently being borrowed, so that accounts for the slow down in my posting. Hopefully I'll be able to share everything that's been put on hold sometime soon.

Now, I figured this was the perfect opportunity to complete an award/tag passed along to me by milk at 2 Percent. Thank you again for the tag, milk :)


10 Honest Things About Myself
  1. I often become paranoid when I have to set my alarm clock. Even after making sure it is set before I turn my light out for the night, I'll turn my light back on to double (or sometimes even triple) check.
  2. I like more vegetables than fruits. People are usually shocked by this and then inquire by running down a list of their favorite fruits to which I politely reply "No, I don't like that one either."
  3. No matter what, I have to have a well-stocked tea supply at home. 4 - 5 varieties is my minimum.
  4. Sometimes I watch films with the English subtitles on. I know it sounds silly, but it helps when the dialogue is spoken in an accent or if the characters talk too quickly.
  5. In theory I like to be neat and tidy, but I am a total pack-rat, so most of the time I find myself in the midst of organized chaos.
  6. Driving at night makes me uneasy. As does driving in any combination of rain, fog, wind, snow, ice, etc.
  7. When I was younger I would spend hours poring over atlases and encyclopedias. I like maps and information.
  8. I enjoy being in the company of others, but I also have no problem doing things, such as shopping and going to movies, by myself. Sometimes I even prefer it.
  9. Two of my favorite musical scores are those from Tuck Everlasting and Sense and Sensibility. I can easily listen to them for hours on end.
  10. As odd as it may sound, I like when a song moves me to tears. Sometimes listening just isn't enough... I need to feel it to fully enjoy it. Notable examples: "Moving Pictures Silent Films" by Great Lake Swimmers, "Passing Afternoon" and "The Trapeze Swinger" by Iron and Wine.
I've seen this tag make it's rounds in the past and cannot remember who's received it and who hasn't. So, please consider yourself awarded if you haven't already and would like to be. This one's for you!

14 comments:

chelsea said...

I used to LOVE going to the movies by myself. I felt very independent, like I was taking myself on a date. It let me fully absorb the movie. I once went to a movie in which I was the only single audience member. It was quite magical.
Oh, and I also used to love looking at maps. I liked finding odd names of towns and such. Much like in the credits of movies...

muchlove said...

aww, that's too bad that you don't have your digital camera :(
I loved reading your 10 honest things though! I feel like I'm getting to know you a little bit better now ;) Haha, I'm with you on watching films with English subtitles. It's proven handy when I watch my Gilmore Girls DVDs, because they talk SO fast.
I shop and go to the movies by myself quite a lot too.

Emily said...

The Trapeze Singer gets me every time, which is weird for a rather generic acoustic song. But I do love it.

Narumi said...

Too bad for your digital camera :(
Nice tag, I always like to discover new things about you :p Just like you I have a huge collection of tea, can't live without it !

Raquel said...

oh hope you get a camera soon darling.
it was great to know this things about you, and I too get me wanting to have some time alone doing things just by myself! also I hate driving at night too! :)
xx

GraceFace said...

I'm exactly the same about alarm clocks, I'm always quite convinced that I've put in the wrong time!
I haven't had a chance to thank you for the amazing gift you sent me---THANK YOU!
A post about it is in progress, once I get my camera fixed (:

C.Elizabeth and Natalia said...

It's always so nice to read those facts about others!
I also enjoy doing things by myself once in a while. I feel I can really take my time without having to justify myself.

C.Elizabeth

Erin Cathleen said...

Reading this reminds me why we're such good friends; we share many of the same tendencies and idiosyncrasies. :) I'm also a veggie lover, not much of a fruit fan (that's what vitamins are for!), hate driving in any form of precipitation, am a semi-neat but mostly messy packrat, and constantly watch movies with subtitles on (it drives me crazy that film scores are often louder than the actors, so you can't understand what on earth they're saying! "Becoming Jane" is one example that absolutely requires subtitles.). <3

Amelia said...

I can't wait to see the newly developed pictures! I hope you get the camera back soon :)

I can totally relate to the doing things by yourself bit and the organized chaos bit. I love cleaning everything except my room.

Imogen said...

I have a lot of similarities with you from this post. Sometimes I watch movies with the subtitles on and I also hate driving in the rain or fog. I often like shopping by myself and I definately agree with you about songs that move you to tears. I like to fully get involved in the song. That was a nice post and its good to read more about you.

Ariella said...

It's so sad not to have a camera.. you always find yourself in situations where you wish you had it. I really hope you get it back soon!

I do the same thing with my alarm clock, and it's especially bad if I have an important appointment. I'll use two alarm clocks and even ask my parents to call me to make sure I've woken up :/

Unknown said...

I know exactly what you mean about turning the subtitles on. It's so I don't miss a thing. Especially when it's a really complicated movie with tons of characters and plot twists. It helps heaps I think.

Lexie said...

i have to watch old movies with subtitles - i'm not sure if it's because they're not well mixed or my hearing is going bad!

tis serendipity said...

AHahaha oh man you are too cute!! Triple checking the alarm clock... I bet you wake up absolutely on time with the first alarm? :P I always tend to snooze 3 or 4 times...

Wow i'd totally love to see your entire collection of tea one day. Is your entire family into tea drinking such that it's like a family pastime to do so together?

I usually prefer shopping by myself too! Do I do get a little wistful when I see groups of girls laughing and shrieking and making lots of noise as they try on clothes (after the initial annoyance haha at their raucousness)...

Heh you are truly someone who's not afraid to face her feelings!! I'm not that brave yet... when it comes to movies that I know I'll probably end up crying at, I tend to just not watch it to save myself the emotional agony. ;p