Friday, February 5, 2010

Creature of habit

Today, for some unknown reason, my mind has been preoccupied with my weekday morning routine. Seriously, I've been thinking about it all day. Perhaps its a result from waking up tired and not refreshed at all or from the fact that in my still-tired-stupor I managed to get ready and leave the house earlier than on a good day. That in itself left me baffled, but whatever the reason, I'm still perplexed. My only rational conclusion: the mind is a funny thing. So, with that said, what really goes on in the life of Emily at the crack of dawn?

  • 5:00am. My alarm clock goes off. I groan and tell myself not to fall back asleep. After stumbling out of bed, I flip on the oil burner in order to heat water for the shower. While waiting (usually 10-15 minutes), I mosey into the kitchen and put on a pot of coffee (1o cups!) for everyone. Then, I go to the front door where through the window I squint to see 1) if it snowed overnight/is snowing and 2) what the temperature is. The verdict this morning: 1) yes/yes and 2) 6F (-14C).
  • 5:30am. I've emerged from the shower and beeline it to the kitchen to make my cup of coffee. Mm, coffee. I return to the kitchen after getting dressed and rummage around for breakfast. Breakfast is usually any combination of the following: cereal, toast, banana. And, of course, more coffee.
  • 6:00 - 6:15am. I'm probably still having breakfast because most mornings I operate at a snail's pace.
  • 6:15am or later. Time to go outside to warm up my car and brush, scrape, or chip off anything that piled on it overnight. Upon returning inside, I quickly finish my coffee then brush my teeth.
  • 6:20 (ideal) - 6:35am (panicked reality). I hit the road. It takes roughly 30 minutes to get to work. The first few minutes of my drive are spent fussing over radio stations as I have to wait about 5 minutes for my car's cd player to warm up. The poor thing doesn't like the cold weather! Once it's all set and wants to play nice, I pop in whatever cd I grabbed on my way out of the house. This morning it was "29" by Ryan Adams. His voice is always amazing, but I particularly love it in this song.




Tell me, what is your morning routine like? Do you operate in a semi-structured manner like I do? Or are you free from time constraints to lounge around as you please?

8 comments:

Lexie said...

eeek! you wake up so early! i only have to wake up that early on tuesdays and saturdays!

my routine is very set, but it fluxuates in pace depending on the day. it is always: shower, breakfast/blog reading, dry hair, make-up, get dressed, out the door.

chelsea said...

I sleep away most of my mornings, since I usually work the evening shift and don't go to bed until past midnight. On the days that the boy has class though he seems to make it a point to awaken me with his taking a shower, getting dressed, talking to me when obviously I want to still be asleep. Men...

Lauren said...

My morning routine is very strict and scheduled! I wake up at 7, take twenty minutes to get changed, style my hair, and put on minimal makeup, then at 7:20 I make my lunch for the day and have breakfast. I usually leave the house at 7:45 for school.

casey said...

OH MY GOD! I had to stop reading at 6F! That is insanely cold! I've lived in Southern California my whole life, so I'm not too used to cold weather. It's 55F right now, and I'm sitting in front of the heater because I'm cold. I guess I can't complain!

muchlove said...

I wish I could wake up as early as you! Then I'd probably have more time and actually be more productive with my day.
It's been a while since I've had a morning routine, seeing that I haven't had a stable job in ages (or, ever) and with the recent move, I'm still finding my feet again! I would actually love to have some kind of routine to feel comfortable in.

emma wallace said...

Ai! Five a.m.! I actually chose my career largely based on not having to get up too early. I love leisurely mornings. I hate when I am due anywhere before noon!

iamemmamusic.blogspot.com

Diana said...

I wish I can wake up this early! I'm almost embarrassed to say what time I get up!

here it goes: 8am- make coffee for husband, set out tie and shirt (i know it sounds cheesy but i love laying out his clothes in the morning) make him breakfast,

8:45 kiss him goodbye, then eat breakfast, have coffee

9am- after coffee, i watch netflix and work on the elliptical

9:45 shower and get ready for the day!

Yours is much more relaxing!

lynnette said...

ooo great post! i've always wondered what it was like for other people when they woke up in the morning... omgg i can't believe you have to wake up at such an unearthly hour though!! most of the time if i have an 8.30 class in school i'll be up at about 7? :P since my dad usually drives me to school hehe... and i usually complain about not getting enough sleep.

what time do you sleep then?

10 people in your family!! :D who??? parents... siblings? (how many??) and grandparents?

haha i can't believe your car's cd player has to warm up too... it's so interesting getting to know all these little details about life in someplace cold!