I'm going to let you in on a little secret: I have a love/hate relationship with the color red. My reason? I worked at Target (you know, the land of the mandatory red + khaki uniform) for 3 1/2 years. Day after day I donned my red t-shirts, red cardigans, red polos and ended up developing a thorough distaste for the color. Well, it's been a few years and I've found I'm willing to let red back into my life. In small doses, that is. I thought it might be fun to add a solid red dress to my wardrobe (a few red patterned dresses have crept in of late), so I've been keeping my eyes open for just the right one. Here I've decided to style up a simple red dress using items similar to what I already own. As I began playing around with this Polyvore set, it became apparent that a sleeveless red dress would fit right in with my closet staples, especially considering how much I like to layer with t-shirts and cardigans.
Tell me, is there a certain color (or pattern, perhaps) that you've never been too keen on wearing?
Monday, April 26, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
Wow, that red dress would be amazing with a brown cardigan and mocs! I really really want a pair of moccasins. Maybe I'll splurge for a pair.
While I love red, I do understand your color aversion. I think I am permanently against royal blue. It was the color of my high school marching band uniform and my Walgreens shirt. A color overload is a super turn off.
dear emily everyone says to me that red is my color and I go through phases, sometimes I am wearing red all the time and then spend ages with not wearing a piece!
but I really like the set you made! really lovely!
I actually have a color that I never used to wear before 8almost hated it!) and now am seeing myself liking some items with that color! can you guess which one is? :P
and about the nautical one piece! I don't know if you have Oysho there but i saw yesterday a lovely nautical onepiece and it was quite cheap! :)
This is a great outfit and I can relate to your distaste for red.
I used to go to cosmetology school, and had to wear head to toe black as our uniform. Then I worked in a salon, and had to wear head to toe black as a work uniform. After ten years of working at the salon, once i quit, my closet had the occasional color coat, but nothing colorful or pretty. As soon as I got the opportunity to go shopping, my closet suddenly looks like the Easter Bunny threw up in it, or something like that :P
I think red is a great color and happy you can wear it comfortably again!
i can see your point of hating red in your skin. but i can tell that you'll look really beautiful in that red dress. until now, i still hate the black and white combo - i still don't know why. hehe :)
looking forward to see you in red here! :)
Bless, that's funny! There's nothing better than a red cardigan or a red wool winter coat, I think. I spent five years in a red wool blazer in high school but I haven't developed the antipathy to it that you have :)
I was out shopping today and spotted the Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady stencilling kit!
That's a great Polyvore set. I can see you wearing that sleeveless red dress :)
Oh I'm so jealous that you found some vintage cardigan clips at your thrift shops! I've never ever seen any here. Maybe they were more popular in the US rather than Australia? hehe, either that or someone here has been buying all the vintage cardigan clips before anyone else can get to them ;)
Red is actually one of my favorite colors to wear, but I can totally understand where you are coming from. I think it is very easy to associate colors with phases in our life (and in your case extremely easy since that was actually the color you had to wear!) and have either positive or negative connotations towards it that are difficult to get past. Though the red dress is very, very pretty and I think by wearing red pieces that you like you might start liking red again.
As for myself, I cannot really think of any color that I don't like wearing, except maybe orange, but then again, not many things are orange.
That is an interesting story about your relationship with the colour red. I have never had that experience but I can certainly imagine what you mean because I know that fashion is not just about clothes, it can represent many times and events in our life. Nevertheless it is good that you are bringing some red back. I like the colour red. I think it can be hard to style but if you get it right then it is very effective. The red dress you selected here is just perfect. I can imagine you wearing it and I think the shoes are so sweet. I always like your polyvore sets. I have just gone back to polyvore. I'm making some sets which I will probably post on my blog soon.
Welcome back red! :)
That one is a really nice dress
Post a Comment