Sunday, June 20, 2010

Trash or Treasure

One man's trash is another man's treasure. We've all heard this cliched saying before and its presence is quite common here in the blogosphere as bloggers from all over (yours truly included) share and discuss their beloved second-hand wares. My father is a man who takes this quirky little quip to heart as well and has been bringing home discarded commodities for years. I thought it might be fun to create a new feature on my blog labeled 'Trash or Treasure' and display such finds (be them his or mine) here for some random amusement. (I know this is somewhat similar to Wallet-friendly Wednesday. However, I've decided to keep that clothing related while this will encompass all other categories of delight).

A favorite of mine from my dad's collecting escapades (or rescue missions as I tend to think of them, haha) is this pair of adorable Holt-Howard salt and pepper shakers.

Holt-Howard is a well-known and sought-after name in whimsical pixieware collectibles. Founded in 1948, their popularity peaked from 1958 to the early 1960s. These porcelain shakers are from the "Cozy Kitten" line and in their brand-new-and-exceptionally-excellent glory came with little noise makers inside. One noise maker in this pair still works and when shaken makes a sound somewhat similar to a kazoo. Dad brought them home a few years ago with a box full of other pretty (and free!) little kitchen wares. These cuties sit happily on our cluttered kitchen hutch gazing adoringly at each other. I can't help but smile every time I see them.


11 comments:

Ruthie said...

TREASURE!! I adore vintage salt & Pepper shakers. Im building quite a good collection. The best one's I've found so far are a pair of owls. Your Dad sounds great!......xxx

emma wallace said...

How cute! These are so adorable! Great find!

maggeygrace said...

Haha this is adorable! Hehe, I love father's and their quirky ways of collecting things. My dad collects boxers. I don't mean to weird you out or anything, but he literally collects them by the hundreds in every style and doesn't wear them! Last christmas I got him a pair of batman ones. Yep...that's my story:)

chelsea said...

What darling little shakers! I would love them to grace my table.

Raquel said...

oh my dear, I wish we had more places to find such treasures here, though in Madeira i've never seen anyone selling second hand stuff :/
well your father has such a nice taste! those kitty salt&pepper shakers are terribly adorable!
anyway, thank you for your sweet comments all the time, and about lolita, it's a very disturbing book, especially at the beginning, though I think it's getting interesting now I'm getting close to the end!

well, have a nice week dear!

Imogen said...

These are beautiful, definitely treasure!I don't think I could ever hate anything that involved cats they are so sweet.

Noelle Chantal said...

def treasures! they look so vintage and very cute. this little cuties are inspirational. it reminds me of Miu-Miu! hehe :)

Diana said...

such a cute find!

Erin Cathleen said...

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

....

And that's about all I have to say about that.

>^.^<

muchlove said...

Eeeeek!! Seriously CUTE kitties you've got there!

Tiaz said...

fantastic find :D