I know that Emily and I share a love of old books. The kinds without dust covers. Books with creamy pages and maybe a little bit of writing in them. When Emily asked me to do a guest post I thought "A ha! A perfect opportunity to show her (and those who read her blog) my old book shelf!"

I just love how all these worn books look together. Leaning on each other like old friends with some woodland creatures here and there. And yes, that is a meerschaum pipe.

Most of my lovelies I picked up in Washington, but my newest addition is from the bookstore I now work at. The greatest thing about working at an independent used bookshop is being able to snag the best stuff first, like this collection of Dorothy Parker's short stories.

My favorite part of old books is the details left by the old owner.

The pride of my old book collection are my Shakespeare plays.


Apparently Max collected old Shakespeare plays too, as his stamp is in the front of a couple of my books.

This copy of Macbeth is probably my favorite.It looks all homely and nondescript on the outside...

But inside is full of wonderful treasures.

Including:

What is your favorite thing about old books? Do you own any? Do you wish you did? A whole bookshelf or room of bookshelves full would be a dream for me.
4 comments:
omg! character sketches in the books! that's incredible. what a great collection you have!
I like old books but really my favourites are old paperbacks, yellow, frequently missing part of a cover, and belonging to my dad, who may well have bought them second-hand. These are great though; I especially like the character sketches. And how delightful to have a meerschaum pipe!
(Emily, I'm glad you're back from your holidays and I hope you had lots of fun! Looking forward to your next posts! Oh, and feel free to join my giveaway if you want to, you don't have to follow or anything) ; )
i buy old books. especially children's books from the 1950s and 60s... even though i don't have any children. the illustrations are beautiful!
love that pipe ;)
xx
Post a Comment