Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Little orange feet

In the morning when it's time to dress I have trouble keeping myself from reaching for a cardigan, woolly skirt and a pair of brown tights. Today was no different. My days for dressing in this favored and comfortable manner (second to this) are swiftly drawing to a close. Spring begins this month and with each glance outside I imagine little bits of green poking out through the snow. I mustn't get ahead of myself as it is still very cold out and the ground is coated in the most obnoxious layer of gritty, snowy dirt (or, snirt) and ice. For these very reasons I opted to journey no further than the back porch for my photos today. My attention span was also rather limited which resulted in detail shots only. While my outfit concept may be a little redundant, it's documentation is differing slightly from the norm.




Cardigan and shoes: H&M, Brooch: thrifted
Tights: Hue, Skirt: Tucker for Target

Changing subjects, I've spent the last few evenings immersed in the world of Cranford.

Have you seen it? Or read the books? I had a gift card for Barnes & Noble waiting to be used up, so I put it toward the Cranford and Return to Cranford box set. I have a geek confession to make: I love the opening theme music! I don't know what it is about it, but I could listen to it play on a loop for hours on end. I have another confession to make: Elizabeth Gaskell works adapted to film are among my favorite period dramas, but I have yet to read any of the books that inspired them. Cranford, Wives and Daughters, North and South... I haven't read a word. I'd like to change this and have been meaning to for some time. A copy of Wives and Daughters is even glaring at me from my bookshelf as I type this. If reading didn't make me so darn sleepy I'd easily be able to devour several books a week.

Tell me, what's something that's been adapted to film that you love, but haven't read in book form?

DVD photo credit: Amazon.com

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

The shevron pattern and colour of your skirt is just brilliant and that is a sweet, sweet brooch ♥

I haven't read Philip K. Dick's We Can Remember It for You Wholesale which Total Recall was based on or Stanislaw Lem's book Solaris (there are two film adaptation of that, both pretty cool although I somewhat prefer the 1972 version. Enough sci fi geekdom :D

Lexie said...

i looooove your dress! i agree with the above commenter - the orange chevron print is really neat!

Rhianne said...

I wear cardigans most days :)I don't try to resist lol.

That skirt is amazing, I love orange!

Sarah Knight said...

Beautiful : )

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys said...

That skirt is just lovely!

I often use an adaptation as a testing point on whether or not I want to read the book (particularly with classics that are VERY long. I've seen much more Dickens than I've read, and although I count him as one of my favourite authors, I don't feel the need to read all of his books. My favourite of his that I've seen but not read is Little Dorrit which I highly recommend (the most recent BBC adaptation.

To be honest, North and South the series is better than the book. The series has (major!) sex appeal, whereas in the book I find myself arguing with Gaskell's representation of mill town politics all the time. Having said that, I do think it was quite a forward-thinking book for it's time!

Hehe, I love geeking out about miniseries on your blog!

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys said...

P.S. You recommended me a book a while back, but I can't remember what it was... something about London and the Abyss?

A Certain Vintage said...

your photos are lovely, love the splashes of orange :)
xox

emma wallace said...

I adore your outfit! Like a creamsicle!

Please don't stop reading my blog but... I've never read a Jane Austin book! I've only ever seen the films. There. I said it.

Sydney said...

A very cute color combo...I don't wear a lot of orange but I think I oughta! Your brooch is amazing too, I love that simple style.

Allison said...

I LOVE that pattern so much! Especially the colours for it.

I really want to see Never Let Me Go but I want to read it first! I don't know when I'll get the time though..

Courtney said...

i love the details in the photos. pretty colors. love the skirt.
sigh. i can't wait for spring.

Unknown said...

I'm liking the glimpse of your knit skirt paired with your cute flats, Emily. Sometimes I fall in love with the details of what I'm wearing more than the whole of the outfit.

I haven't seen or heard of Cranford. I have a deep love of anything historical/costume drama so must go check it out. Have you heard of a new BBC tv series called Downton Abbey? Check it out. I think you'd really enjoy it.

Fashion Nicotine said...

They skirt looks great!

caitlin said...

i'm ashamed to admit that i haven't read any of jane austen's books all the way through. i've started pride&prejudice at least three times and just didn't get into it (although maybe i would more now that i've seen the film(s) so many times...), but i love love love all the film adaptations -- sense&sensibility, the bbc pride&prejudice, emma, mansfield park... love them.

SOJOURNED IN STYLE said...

the pictures are in an intersting persepctive. sometimes the camera doesnt have to be directly in our face. beautiful brooch. i liked your nerd confession ;)

Raquel said...

Aw Emily, your skirt is darling! And so is the brooch. I love detail shots, and with these I could quite visualize the whole look :)

And as you told me once that Sense and Sensibily was your favourite Austen book I thought of telling you that I saw the film today, with Kate Winslet and Emma Thompson, but the book is so much better, you can really feel Elinor's sense and Marianne's sensibility through he reading :) Have you seen it?

Louise said...

Orange really suits you :)
I love the chevron pattern too. You are definitely inspiring me to wear more skirts and jumpers instead of dresses!
And, yay, Cranford!! I love how they make such a big deal of everything - oh my gosh, someone dropped their hat! ;)

Kelley Anne said...

Thanks so much for the lovely comment Emily! I know, I felt the same way about Ondine and have been thinking about buying a copy on DVD ever since I saw it. I love the combination of your skirt and cardigan and feel the same way about wool skirts and sweaters...its such an easy option for winter, I often find myself wearing similar combinations. Here's to looking forward to spring! I'll have to check my library's listings for the Cranford box sets. Anything with Judi Dench in it has my name written all over it:)

chelsea said...

What a lovely brooch.
I've been wanting rewatch North by South. Love that one! The library branch near me used to have all of Wives and Daughters, but I think they got shipped out somewhere else. Right now I am waiting to get Julia Child The French Chef on DVD. I can't wait to see her bone a duck!