Sunday, May 1, 2011

The First of May


Hello! It's May! Excitement always overtakes me with the arrival of this fine month which I consider to be the best of the entire year (hence the exclamation points). Why? It finally starts to feel like spring outside! The air is fresh, clean and fragrant! Everything that was reluctant to turn green and bloom in late April does so in May! And, the ladies in my family (my mom, sister, and I) all have our birthdays within a span of eleven days! 'Tis a good, good month.



"That is one good thing about this world. . .there are always sure to be more springs."
- L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Avonlea

How beautiful the quotes of L.M. Montgomery are when the world is overflowing with warmth! Spring is my favorite time to read (or re-read!) Montgomery and while I've devoured much of her written works, there are still a few titles I have yet to get acquainted with. I think within the next few weeks I'll pick up The Story Girl, Magic for Marigold, or Jane of Lantern Hill. In the past I've been eager to read all of her books in rapid succession, but refrained to prolong the enjoyment over time. And ''time'' in that last sentence equates to more than half of my life thus far.




Shirt: Target, Scarf: gift, Ring: Charlotte Russe, Belt: thrifted
Skirt: F21, Tights: TJ Maxx, Shoes: Aldo

I know it's practically impossible to discern in these photos, but my tights are actually not white, but a creamy-oatmeal color. Great, now I'm making myself hungry! Anyway, it is absolutely gorgeous outside today. I'll be quick to hop back out once this post is finished to soak up the mild sun.

Happy May!

21 comments:

Lexie said...

i love the shape of that denim skirt! and i too am SO excited it's may!

laura said...

Emily, you are, simply put, just gorgeous. I love your hair! And that scarf is just the perfect little floral accent to the whole outfit! Yay for warmer weather in your neck of the woods :)
hearts, laura♥
the blog of worldly delights

Raquel said...

Emily you look even prettier than usual here, I don't know if it's the light but your hair and eyes are gorgeous and you look like you're glowing :)
Anyway, I really like this spring-y look, very pretty and love the touch of the scarf.
Looks like you'll have a full and great month I guess. My boyfriend's birthday is in May too though I don't think I'll be able to be with him then.

SOJOURNED IN STYLE said...

beautiful match up perfect to greet may. the denim skirt is wonderful, and pretty scarf, I have wanted a pair of light tights for some time. spring is just enchanting, and always a renewing after a cold winter.

Imogen said...

Another pefect outfit Emily and I'm pleased you are having some lovely weather. It is interesting how you like May so much and it is very different weather over here.

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys said...

You look beautiful in these pictures, and how perfect is that weather? I'm looking forward to having some time to read, full stop, and I'm sure May will allow me a little!

summertime dreams said...

I haven't read the others, but Jane of Lantern Hill is all of the things I dreamed of as a little girl! I read that book so many times! A must read for you, me thinks :) or any Lucy fan.....

Courtney said...

I love that ring!! I love May too. And I think this is going to be a good one.

chelsea said...

I still need to get to reading Anne of Avonlea and of the Island. They have been sitting on my shelf looking awfully lonely. You are right, spring is the perfect time for a bit of L.M.
I love that scarf by the way. I an envious of how good you look in it. I can't pull off anything but winter scarves. I don't know why.

Unknown said...

Gorgeous scarf and what pretty light! I love how you always get so excited when warmer weather comes your way, Emily. Enjoy it! I sure did.

Rebeccak said...

I will just try to contain my jealousy as we are steadly heading into winter! Although... I was talking to my parents yesterday (who ar ein Europe) and I was complaining about the cold as they waxed lyrical about their lovely weather, only to realise it is about the same temperature! I guess it is all a matter of perspective.

Jenny said...

Your outfit is wonderful and perfect for the upcoming summer weather! I love denim skirts because they work so well with different looks. And I really love how you styled this outfit with the tights and scarf. Beautiful! xx

Anonymous said...

Silvergray and pink are just so gorgeous together, love your scarf :)
May is such a glorious month and I know what you mean about making boos last :) Sometimes I can pace myself, other times I race through an author's work like it's a bar of strawberry and cream filled chocolate.

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys said...

Hello again, fellow Emily! Just to answer your question... I'll be partly in Barcelona this summer, possibly partly in Germany, and I hope to go back to Canada in August for a while. Sounds enviable, but I can't keep track of anything at the moment and feel totally scattered. But I'm staying with Raquel, which is very nice!

Also, I just noticed your hummingbird ring. Major bonus points... I just love hummingbirds. : )

CoCoon said...

Awe your excitement for spring {both literary & sartorial} is very inspiring. Might have to put down the lap top and get outside myself. Happy May!

www.iheartcocoon.com

muchlove said...

first of all, can I just say how BEAUTIFUL you look! Seriously, you are one pretty lady Emily.

I love your creamy oatmeal tights, and yes it does make me hungry too.

Hmm, I think I need to check out those book too..

Jo - Lost in the Haze said...

The floral scarf is so pretty! It compliments the simplicity of the outfit so well!

x
www.lostinthehaze.com

Anonymous said...

Cute ring;)

Christina said...

I love this post! Your outfit is so pretty and I love that you talk about reading. Sometimes I feel dorky posting about reading but it's so important to me! :)

lynnette said...

Gorgeous photos, Emily! :D

I love how beautiful and natural your smile is - especially evident in that first photo of yours!

I like that quote; really just reminds me about how life really is all about hope. I mean I think the hope that tomorrow will bring something better... is really what drives people forward. And Spring is both a lovely metaphor and something concrete to look forward to as well.

So I can imagine the weather is fantastic over where you are?

It's been sooooo disgustingly hot in S'pore! :(((

xx

Michele said...

I very much agree, LMM's stories have a very springy/summery flavor to them. I love her short stories and Emily the best.