On a whim one night about a month or so ago, I Googled ''lavender festival new york'' curious as to whether such an event existed in my home state. Much to my surprise there was one slated for this past weekend out in the Finger Lakes region. The Finger Lakes are long, thin lakes stretching out across the old Iroquois tribal lands in the west-central portion of New York State. The lavender festival was held at Lockwood Farm in Skaneateles, NY along the northern shore of Skaneateles Lake. An Iroquois term, Skaneateles is pronoucned ''skan-ee-AT-las'' (or ''skinny-at-las,'' by some) and means, appropriately enough, "long lake."
A friend and I left town early Sunday morning and drove the 3.5 hours out to the festival. We got there before the crowds and were able to wander through the rows of lavender without bumping into too many people. A small number of vendors were set up selling paintings, photographs, jewelry, pottery and the like. The farm has its own shop selling a wide range of all-natural lavender products. I treated myself to a bar of lavender & tea tree soap, a bottle of lavender spritzer and a jar of lavender fudge sauce (delicious!). I also bought a lovely watercolor print and matching greeting card set from one of the vendors. Oh! and I suppose I should mention the crêpe. I had the most incredibly decadent honey lemon lavender crêpe which I washed down with a refreshing iced coffee. It was by far the best lunch in recent memory.
Before leaving, I picked a bundle of Royal Velvet lavender. Royal Velvet is one of the culinary varieties and I'm already scheming up a list of treats to make with it!
We were also shown how to make a lavender wand (a sachet/decorative creation). The process was rather fun and easy. I wanted to do a tutorial for the blog with the lavender we have in our own garden, but the stems aren't long enough. Maybe someday!
It was truly a day well spent. The farm was beautiful, the lavender was deliciously fragrant and the atomosphere was one of both tranquility and fun. I took a wee video, complete with rustling wind and faint sounds of laughter, to share. Enjoy!
For more photos from the lavender festival, visit my Flickr.






12 comments:
Wow that looks like such a beautiful place! The lavender wand is so creative and fun. Sounds like you had a wonderful time :) I need to get up to NY
xo katie elizabeth
ohheyylife.blogspot.com
Ohh, it looks like such a dream! <3 Lavender is my favourite smell ever!
x
Lost in the Haze
Lavender is one of my favourite summer flowers....have you ever made lavender cupcakes? So delicious. Your photos are beautiful.
I would love to go to this festival! It looks so gorgeous and peaceful. Thank you for including the little video. I really like short, atmospheric clips like that.
It's a shame we can’t smell the fragance in the computer. Nice land. I take note about the Finger Lakes. I adore the tranquility too.
How lovely! It's not something I would have ever considered googling, but it sounds like a lovely way to spend an afternoon. The crepe sounds amazing, and I'm anxious to see what you rustle up in the kitchen! The video was nice and atmospheric... I turned the volume up to try and drown out the noise of workmen removing painted lines from the street outside, but no luck... ; )
Emily, thanks for sharing your wonderful day with us! How lucky are you to be that close to a lavender field?! I'm envious of the delicious crepe you had! honey and lavender.... yum, yum, yum! Do share the goodies you do whip up with the lavender that you brought home! :)
♥ laura
the blog of worldly delights
what a fun festival! i loooove the idea of lavender fudge sauce .. and lavender crepe ... mmmm!
This place is absolutely gorgeous. I just want to lay on a blanket, open a book, and stay there forever.
http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
Twitter: @GlamKitten88
Gah! I love lavender! I use lavender oil on my face in lieu of moisturizer. It feels so good on my skin and smells incredible, too.
How very clever of you to random google it. Glad you found it! Sounds like a fun day.
This seems like a beautiful place and event to attend Emily. And about edible lavender, I never had any, but from your descriptions I am craving some now!
lavender, lavender and more lavender. the serenity of lavender is alluring. the crepe sounds amazing and the decorative creation sounds lovely too.
Post a Comment