Monday, July 18, 2011

Hidden in plain sight

Over the weekend my dad pulled out my great-grandmother Elsie's scrapbook. While I had looked through several of Elsie's photo albums before, I'd never seen the impressive collection of life-memorabilia she had put together (apparently it's been on one of the bookshelves all this time). Newspaper clippings, photographs, dance posters, dance cards, marriage announcements, invitations, valentines - it's all in there. The sweetness of everything made my heart swell! I couldn't help but photograph some of my favorite pages and snippets to share. And I'm excited to say (in a sharing things via blogging kind of way) that this post is the perfect prelude to one I plan on putting up later in the week!



E.M.H. Christmas 1908, 25 years old

This is my favorite hodge-podge page.
Notice the sweet little dance card (from 1901) front and center. Aww!



Game/dance (?) card from April 1899

Family portrait, July 4, 1899.
Elsie (I want your boater hat) is seated on the far right.





Should you ask a corset model if
Her figure without it would be good,
She'[s] give a most contemptuous sniff
And answer you: "Of corset would!"










The scrapbook continues with bits and bobs past World War I, but I thought that a good place to conclude. Tell me, is your family in possession of any sweet little treasures?

12 comments:

Jo - Lost in the Haze said...

Ohh what an amazing scrapbook <3 My family put all of our possessions into storage when we moved overseas, so I'm not sure if there are any exciting heirlooms! (I certainly hope so!)

x
Lost in the Haze

Diana said...

this is such a treasure to discover! i love the little valentine :) xo

http://dressedupallligators.blogspot.com/

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys said...

How lovely! I wish we had something like that! We have a lot of photos, but they tend to be of the floating around unlabeled in a box and no one's sure who's in them variety. I love the dance card, and the corset model!

P.S. Three years, my goodness! I guess my other blog must be getting on to three years, but I'm such a bad blogger there it hardly counts!

Xavi said...

Everything is nice. I have some records from my grandparents and are always nice to look at old photographs and pappers.
Your great-grandmother is lovely. She is as pretty as you!!! :)

Raquel said...

How exciting to have something so old to treasure, especially since it is from your family! The oldest things I have are letters from my mom to/from friends and family and pictures from my grandparents, nothing before that :(

Oh and Elsie was a charming beautie!

Heather, 29 Skirts said...

You're so lucky to have this! I don't think my family has anything so cool...just photos for the most part, and very few of them are over 60 years old. That corset clipping is crazy! The Victorians would have loved Photoshop.

Rebeccak said...

What an amazing collection! Sometimes I wish everyone kept such comprehensive scrapbooks - such a lovely insight into another life.

SOJOURNED IN STYLE said...

the family memorobilia just warms my heart. sadly, my family isn't in posession of these sweet treasures. I want that boat hat too, and the "Of corset would!" joke is timelessly funny. the era is so charming.

laura said...

What a treasure...

The pressed flowers are soo beautiful. And the clippings are just priceless! You're so lucky to have these preserved and taken care of!

♥ laura
the blog of worldly delights

chelsea said...

Gosh, that is so cool! You are very lucky to have family who thought to save things. Even little things. Mine were very pragmatic people, not sentimental. The coolest thing I found in my grandma's house was some old newspaper that she used as drawer liner. I'd love to see more photos of Elsie, if you have them.

muchlove said...

Oh my goodness Emily. This is amazing!!! How wonderful that your family still kept her scrapbook. It's so incredibly sweet.

Anonymous said...

I'm so jealous right now! Unfortunately my family doesn't have anything remotely similar but I'll look into it better as soon as I'm back. Thanks for sharing!
Ciao, Antonella