Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Simple Summer Layers



Cardigan: Target, Dress: J.Crew, Necklace: vintage shop, Sandals: Seychelles

I made a trip out to the J.Crew factory outlet one day last week to exchange an item I received for my birthday. Said item was no longer available in the size that I needed, so I put the credit toward this lovely cotton-linen blend dress. It was on sale, too. J.Crew, that's how I like to shop you: at the outlet and/or on sale. Speaking of sales, I got the deal of the day year today at the nearby J.Crew retail store, but more on that another time!

I kept the styling simple for this frock's first outing. I knew that my trusty white cardi would be perfect with it (along with a layering tank for modesty). Let's just ignore the fact that it was 80 some odd degrees out today. I tend to wear cardigans when it's humid out, too. I can't help it! Hehe, anyway. I thought about switching the chain on this I-don't-know-if-it's-scrimshaw-or-celluloid necklace, but decided that I rather like it as is. And not to put a rush on things, but I've already thought of a few ways to style this dress for Autumn. Exciting stuff ;)

11 comments:

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys said...

Ah, this is the "other" J. Crew dress! I couldn't see the link you posted on twitter for some reason. This one is completely adorable too; I really like the muted colours. And glad that the little whale is getting an airing.

In other news, you're crazy. I get the tank top, but there's no way I'll be seen in a cardi until... I leave Barcelona I guess. : )

Raquel said...

Yay! So glad to see you in this lovely little dress. And the simple way you styled it gives the dress the spotlight, how lovely really!
And don't tell me you got another lovely dress from JCrew?

Well I can't wait to see more ways of you styling this, it is really dress envy right here hehe.

PS: I agree with Emily up there, a cardigan here? I went to convert the temperature (80 Fº is 27ºC hehe) and wow. Even just layering a short sleeve denim shirt is uncomfortable right now (like I did yesterday oops).

Rhianne said...

I love outlet shopping, we're going this weekend :) and I love that dress, its lovely

chelsea said...

I love this outfit! I'm a sucker or stripes. I'm also a sucker for really good sales.

laura said...

Emily, this is a beautiful dress! And you've styled it marvelously! White is definitely summery, and the cardi goes so well with the cut of the dress. I even love the small peek of white on your neckline!

But!!! I can also see you wearing the dress during the winter and fall with some colored tights and boots! I can't wait to see how you wear it!

Anonymous said...

Such a beautiful dress, especially the bodice (triangles!) and stripes of course :D The cardi is the perfect pairing!

Kallie, Happy Honey and Lark said...

what a pretty dress. the colors are so light and airy. i'm already ready for fall clothes so I know what you mean about having to stop yourself from jumping ahead.

Heather, 29 Skirts said...

This dress looks so pretty and cool! I really like how the stripes are arranged (horizontal on the skirt, forming a V on the bodice). J. Crew sure has some gorgeous clothes.

audrey said...

i snagged this dress too! it looks adorable on you. i'm trying to figure out what to do with it - i may alter mine because the waist seemed a little off somehow. gotta love super-cheap j crew, though!

Unknown said...

Very sweet, Emily. I especially love the colour. It reminds me of white sandy dunes and deck chairs on the beach.

Isabella said...

Just found your blog, it's so unique. I love your banner photo. And the dress is great. We have a lot of outlet malls here in Orlando and JCrew factory store is my favorite. Great deals.

feltlikesuede.com