Sunday, August 14, 2011

Photoswap 2011

Have you heard of the photoswap that Rhianne of For the easily distracted hosts? Some of my favorite bloggers have participated in years past and this time around I thought it would be fun to join in! The idea behind the swap is simple: each participant is assigned a partner and then develops a roll of film (or disposable camera) that the other has taken.



My swap partner was Cesar of The Dead Format. In addition to the roll of film I sent, I included a letter in which I mentioned how exciting and daunting it was taking photos specifically for someone else. Photographs can be really personal things if you think about it. One element about being partnered with Cesar that I really liked (apart from his beautiful photos, of course) was that we shared photos from the opposite ends of our country. He is based in downtown Los Angeles and I call rural upstate New York my home. It really reinforced how much I love the vast diversity of the United States.





The rest of Cesar's photos can be found here and at the It's A Photoswap 2011 Flickr group.

7 comments:

Raquel said...

What a lovely thing to take part Emily! Photographs are quite personal I agree, so it is something very good if you're partnered with something you connect with!
Cesar's photographs are amazing!

laura said...

This sounds like an amazing swap! I am sooo jealous of your photography abilities-- I always want to be able to develop my own photos and be all artsy and whatnot, but I fail constantly :( meh.

Cesar's pictures are beautiful! I'm really digging the chapel/church tower!
♥ laura

the blog of worldly delights

chelsea said...

No, I hadn't ever heard about this, but it is super cool! Did Cesar post your photos anywhere? I guess I could just peruse the flickr group and see if I can see anything that is your style.
I sort of miss using disposable cameras. I have my digital and there are no surprises. There isn't anything forcing you to print them out, either. I haven't printed/developed photos for over two years. That includes my wedding photos. What a strange feeling, now that I think about it. All my photos are online only...
Oh, and that standing globe that you covet? I agree, it is neat, and neater still because it was my grandfathers. Also, I once covered it in plastic whales for a grade school presentation. The tape residue is still there.

Cesar said...

This was so much fun. Thank you for sharing your hometown with us, it's absolutely beautiful.

Allison said...

Ah how is so much cool stuff happening on the Internet that I don't even know about?! I wish I could consume it all. Lovely, lovely photos; they all look so dreamy!

Diana said...

Dang, I love these! He's a wizard with the any film camera, isn't he? Amazing.

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys said...

This is a very sweet idea... I always like these examples of the vast internet creating such localized communities among people far apart. And these are lovely photos...a view of Los Angeles I wouldn't necessarily have expected.