Thursday, January 12, 2012

Black tea and Robert Burns



"Cauld blaws the wind frae east to west, the drift is driving sairly,
Sae loud and shill's I hear the blast - I'm sure it's winter fairly.

Up in the morning's no for me, up in the morning early!
When a' the hills are cover'd wi' snow, I'm sure it's winter fairly!

The birds sit chittering in the thorn, a' day they fare but sparely,
And lang's the night frae e'en to morn - I'm sure it's winter fairly."
-Robert Burns

I caught myself thinking of this poem today and how, after a storm blew in last night, it surely feels like winter now. There hasn't been much in terms of snow since the season began. A little here and a little there, but it's always been quick to go. While it's felt like some sort of pseudo-winter, I think perhaps now the sham has been replaced with reality. And, like Burns' line "up in the morning's no for me...", I could have easily stayed asleep this morning while the snow fell, but alas, it wasn't meant to be.

My days of late have blended together much the same: up in the morning for work, sipping tea and reading in the afternoon, visiting with my grandmother in the evening. I find it a triumph when I can recall what day it is without thinking too hard or looking at the calendar. There's a certain peace to these cold, semi-lazy winter days that, even though I grumble through them sometimes, I wouldn't trade for the splendor of spring or the brilliance of autumn. They're quiet, predictable and ultimately comforting especially when tea, scarves and cardigans are involved!

8 comments:

Jo - Lost in the Haze said...

Hooray - another Robert Burns fan! <3 And the teapot is truly adorable!

x
Lost in the Haze: Fashion Blog

Anonymous said...

L'atmosfera รจ calda e serena qui nel tuo blog... grazie per questo!

Anonymous said...

English: The atmosphere is warm and peaceful here in your blog ... thank you for this!

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys said...

You know, I agree with this. I'm sad that it hasn't been a "proper winter" so far, because I like all the seasons to exist to the proper degree. I like crisp Octobers and grey Novembers and snowy Decembers (at least in Canada). Here in Barcelona, it's only just starting to really be winter--obviously no snow here though.

Anyway, tea and Robert Burns sounds a good way to while away the afternoons. And it's soon Robbie Burns Day.

Anonymous said...

I'm such a home-bird these days too! Only this morning I was thinking I may need to go and buy some decaf teas...

SymbioticLife said...

Some of the best pleasures in life are the simplest ones. I had to share this poem with a friend of mine. Hadn't seen it in too long. So perfect for the moment!

chelsea said...

If I didn't have to walk a mile in the freezing cold to work, I'd be right there with you about loving these days. I want so badly to love it. I don't hate it, not the way I hate the summer with it's heat and humidity. I will just hide in my scarf and will my toes to keep warm while going through my routine.

Anonymous said...

tea, scarves, jumpers, and good poetry= the makings of a great winter afternoon. :)
♥ laura
the blog of worldly delights