Friday, February 20, 2009

Handle With Care

Vintage mugs are some of my favorite things to collect. My collection to date is quite small, but I am always on the look-out for more. I find it amusing to think of the history that comes with these wares. On what occasion were they purchased? How did the Mrs. take her coffee or tea? One lump of sugar, or two?

I particularly love the color arrangement on these two.
The mug on the left also has a mate.

Look at that roped handle!
I can't recall ever using this particular mug.
Perhaps I shall when I'm feeling a bit nautical.

This little one is my absolute favorite.
It is extremely delicate and had a mate once,
but unfortunately it met with the fate that all fragile objects fear: breakage.

Do you collect anything? Share it!

15 comments:

Lexie said...

my sister bought all of her friends vintage mugs and filled them with homemade cocoa mix for christmas. it was really cute.

i have an assortment of picture frames that i have been collecting for a long time. it's fun to find the perfect frame for a photograph.

Lara said...

those mugs are lovely, what a cool idea of things to collect! I dont really collect anything, but i have a box which i collect nice ribbons in, because i wear them in my hair a lot.

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

The sailboat one is my favorite! That's such a good idea to collect those too--I can see them doubling as vases. I don't collect...I don't have anywhere to put anything...

Unknown said...

These are absolutely gorgeous. I love the rough beauty of all of them. I collect absolutely anything I find beautiful - vintage blouses, pretty little Marie-Antoinette like plates to put treats on etc etc.

Blair said...

I drool over your nautical mug!!

:P

Ariella said...

That sailboat cup is so cute! Hmm, I don't think I actually collect anything at the moment... well, maybe DVDs, but not in the order to collect them.

Q's Daydream said...

Lovely mugs! I used to collect snow globes, I've been collecting dolls sense I was little. Oh and I loved stuffed monkeys :o)

chelsea said...

My favorite is the green one. I love those 70's colors: avacado green, burnt orange, and harvest gold.
I collect owls. Owls and dresses. I used to collect coins when I was younger. Coins and stickers.

Amelia said...

These are fun. I love the nautical one. I collect a lot of random things--devil ducks, snoopy dolls, erasers...probably other things, too.

Ack, I know. The descriptions in Wuthering Heights kill me, too. I would love to go live over there for awhile, just based on those.

erika sorocco said...

I too adore vintage mugs. What's even more perfect about them is that you can use them as jewelry holders for rings and things.

Anonymous said...

Really cute stuff - I would love to have it in my kitchen!

Lavender said...

These are so sweet. I like the green one especially.

Amelia said...

I have not seen the Wuthering Heights movie. I am definitely going to track it down.

Narumi said...

They are lovely ! My favourite is the one with the boat, the roped handle is well done. I used to collect flowers or leaves to put in a herbarium but i'm not doing it anymore, lack of time I guess !

Te said...

That nautical mug is awesome! I want one.

I tend to collect scarves, but I'm moving overseas so I've had to put my collection on hold out of fear they won't all fit in my backpack.