Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Songbook of delightful proportions

I am an avid user of the inter-library loan system my town library is part of. Last week while searching the databases I came across the CD pictured on the left. Oh my! "Jane Austen's favourite vocal music, collected and copied out in her own hand," the cover reads. Inside, the liner notes go on to say, "Music and the social status it expressed was an integral part of Jane Austen's life. Her novels are replete with details of domestic musical activities. Accounts of public concerts and private balls as well as music programs with hired musicians fill her letters. A dedicated amateur herself, Austen ordinarily played at the pianoforte at least an hour a day before breakfast from the 8-book music collection now preserved in her home at Chawton. For nieces and nephews she practiced 'country dances,' a number of which appear in her collections. Austen painstakingly copied and bound music that especially interested her."

I simply cannot stop listening to these arrangements or express how they make me feel. Perhaps it is because of the charm they possess being several hundred years old, or because Jane admired them so. I can sit around all day and read Jane's novels over and over, but listening to songs that she enjoyed throughout the duration of her life supplies a more personal connection than printed words on a page can. And I like that.

Photo: Amazon.com

10 comments:

Lexie said...

that is really neat. oooh the magic of libraries!

Blair said...

No way! I would kill for that! :D

<3

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

Oh that sounds amazing--this would make a perfect gift for someone I know...

casey said...

I've, unfortunately, never read a Jane Austen novel. It's on my reading to-do list, though!

And how nice it is to meet a fellow geography major! What kind of geography are you into?

Amelia said...

Ooh, that sounds fun. I would definitely be curious to know what kind of music other historic figures liked to listen to. That can really tell you a lot about a person.

Unknown said...

O my goodness! What a fantastic find. See - it pays to use the library ;) I haven't been to mine in a long while because I'm useless at bringing them back on time and rack up expensive overdue debts!

Andrea Eames said...

How lovely!

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

I got the little porcelain shoe in Holland but it wasn't a necklace until I turned it into one. :)

Lauren said...

What a great find! I have a CD my friend got me in France of Marie Antoinette's favorite classical music - listening to it feels sort of like time travel.

Speaking of Marie Antoinette, thanks for telling me that interesting fact, I didn't know it but I did some research and Marie Antoinette and the Duchess of Devonshire were good friends. Also the Duchess' friend Lady Foster was courted by Count Fersen who Marie Antoinette had an affair with...I hadn't realized they were all so connected!

Raquel said...

thank you darling!
oh I love her writing and I'm sure I'd love to ear the music too!!
xx