Sunday, July 19, 2009

Turnpike

I'm convinced that I live too far inland. With that said, tomorrow morning I am embarking on a 3 1/2 hour drive to spend a few days along the Massachusetts coast. I have always been drawn to the splendor of the seaside with its salt-saturated air and soul-soothing rhythm of crashing waves. To make my mini-vacation even better, I'll be staying with one of my oldest and dearest friends. Erin and I have been friends since we were young girls, but not long after our budding friendship began her family packed up and moved out of state. For nine years we corresponded through letters, phone calls, and e-mails until she and her family relocated back east. This will be our 5th summer of enjoying each others company with coastal New England as our playground. Our previous summer fun has included visits to local beaches, strolling along the waterfront in Plymouth, quick jaunts to Cape Cod, day trips to Providence and Boston, and an endless array of coffee, Mexican food, manga, and shopping. This year we'll be heading to Boston again, but instead of hanging out in neighboring Cambridge (as we did last year and in 2007), we'll be wandering around Back Bay. I've been seething with excitement for weeks!


July 2005, July 2007

Cape Cod July 2007

As I bid upstate New York adieu and trek across the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, I've compiled some mixed CD's to keep me company. Here are my personal summer soundtracks for this year:

"Cruise Control"
  1. Lovers in Japan/Reign of Love - Coldplay
  2. Sacred Vision - Iron and Wine
  3. I Became Awake - Great Lake Swimmers
  4. Secret Heart - Feist
  5. Sunny Road - Emiliana Torrini
  6. White Winter Hymnal - Fleet Foxes
  7. Friday I'm In Love - The Cure
  8. Flint (For The Unemployed And Underpaid) - Sufjan Stevens
  9. Skinny Love - Bon Iver
  10. Luv - Travis
  11. Go Ahead - Rilo Kiley
  12. Firecracker - Ryan Adams
  13. Our Swords - Band of Horses
  14. My Slumbering Heart - Rilo Kiley
  15. Whither, I'm A Flower - Whiskeytown
  16. The Pilgriming Vine - Basia Bulat
  17. Kingdom of the Animals - Iron and Wine
  18. Bowl of Oranges - Bright Eyes
"80's Conglomeration"
  1. Just What I Needed - The Cars
  2. Take On Me - a-Ha
  3. I Melt With You - Modern English
  4. Lovesong - The Cure
  5. Sunglasses At Night - Corey Hart
  6. Jessie's Girl - Rick Springfield
  7. Another One Bites The Dust - Queen
  8. I Love Rock 'N Roll - Joan Jett and The Blackhearts
  9. Livin' On A Prayer - Bon Jovi
  10. The Promise - When In Rome
  11. I Just Called To Say I Love You - Stevie Wonder
  12. Against All Odds (Take A Look At Me Now) - Phil Collins
  13. The Longest Time - Billy Joel
  14. With or Without You - U2
Have a great week! :)

13 comments:

Lexie said...

great play lists! i hope you have a wonderful trip!

muchlove said...

Sounds like an amazing plan. Have fun!! And take lots of photos ;) Will you be bringing your film camera? I think it's great that you're getting back into photography. Oh, and do share your favourite photo! You've got me all curious now.

Anonymous said...

great mixes! I love the MA cape :)

Amelia said...

That sounds amazing! Why do I not do fun things like that in the summer?

Erin Cathleen said...

So excited to see you! And I love your playlists, too. :D

Raquel said...

oh darling thanks so much for your comments, you're always so lovely!

and it's so nice you're going to the beach too! I'll go to Algarve (southern Portugal) with my sister next week yay! then it's time to look for a job more seriously!

oh and it's so cool your story with Erin!! hope you two have the best time there!
xx

chelsea said...

I envy your coastal vacation. Have fun doll!

Ariella said...

Having a good friend like that is just wonderful, and your plans sound great! Have an absolutely brilliant time, dear!

Lauren said...

Love the 80's playlist. Hope your trip is lots of fun!

Diana said...

you have super music for your trip!

Jen said...

Sounds like the perfect vacation - meeting up with dear old friends, there is nothing better as far as I'm concerned. This year most of my closest friends have skipped town (I live in a university town, went here, and am now working here until the end of the year when i can skip town). Its lonely, but so so lovely when they come back to visit :)

Imogen said...

Have fun, I'm looking forward to hearing about it. I love the seaside too. I'd love to be there now.

Elizabeth, Delightfully Tacky said...

I was in Cape Cod in July 2007 as well! I love it there, so gorgeous.

delightfully-tacky.blogspot.com