

"I sometimes think that the other months were constituted mainly as a fitting interlude between Octobers." - Aldo Leopold, from A Sand County Almanac
The quiet country road that our family home is nestled on is perfect for taking walks. After enduring a pre-winter onslaught of unseasonably cold weather, the sun finally began warming my little neck of the woods to temperatures that don't result in chattering teeth, and so, I slipped on my sneakers and skipped out the door. Today's walk took me where it always does - up the hill where I stop and wander before making my descent back down. My senses took account of the abundant details of the season from the rustling wind through the lattice of intertwined tree branches to the earthen, woodsy smell of dead leaves and fallen crab apples. My presence frightened a small chipmunk whose pitter-patter through the crinkled leaves made me chuckle. I never tire of this walk and always return home recharged, refreshed, and rejuvenated.




9 comments:
You live in such a peaceful place, are you far from the city ? I adore the smell of the dead leaves in autumn ! The pictures you've made are beautiful, I love the last one, the colors are gorgeous.
Lovely toadstools. Isn't is funny how fungus can be so beautiful?
It is warmer here too. I wasn't prepared for it. I bundled up in my winter coat and scarf and left the house today only to find I so did not need either. Strange.
Oh, and yeah, I do love the calming effect of art museums. The lighting is soothing, not sterile or over bright. It is quiet, but not too quiet. It is kind of a meditative thing, as long as it isn't too crowded. The free days are not quite so calming. And when the boy and I just went he was on a mission to find a painting to talk about in class, so he was rushing me a bit. I do love those Matisse though.
i observe a fourth grade classroom every day for a hour for one of my courses. today they took an "autumn walk" and wrote down all the things they saw/smelled/heard/etc. it was the most beautiful thing i've done so far this fall.
Your sorroundings are absolutely gorgeous. I wish I had this in my area!
I would go here, with journal and camera in hand all the time.
It looks so beautiful and so peaceful there.... and doing what you did sounds so relaxing and nice.
What's funny is that the scenery also reminds me so much of what it could look like over here!
Gorgeous pictures and location! Dreamy.
sounds and looks like such a peaceful and lovely walk. I love the pictures you took. It's like you're taking us with you :)
The leaves have a very pretty shape :D
These are very beautiful pictures, it looks peaceful. I just love taking walks in these sorts of environments.
Post a Comment