Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Wallet-friendly Wednesday

While growing up, my wardrobe was regularly infused with my older sister's hand-me-downs. Excitement always overcame me as I pilfered through the piles of clothes picking out the things I wanted most. Even when she didn't have cast-offs to send my way I would sneak through her closet anyway. Little sisters are good at that, I think. ;) I started thrift shopping in high school in order to find those unique and one of a kind pieces that are hard to come by in commonplace mall stores. We all know that trips to the Salvation Army, Goodwill, and the like can be a hit or miss, but it's always fun looking forward to the possibility of finding something special without creating too much strain on our wallets.

Today's trip to my local Salvation Army was more or less a miss day. I was tempted by a black velvet jumper, but passed on it because I couldn't really see myself wearing it a lot. I was disappointed by a green tweed blazer that fit in the arms and shoulders, but was too big otherwise. Even with the 50% off Family Day discount, I couldn't justify buying something that just didn't fit. I did, however, make one little purchase. And I say little because I only spent 25 cents.


A maroon skinny belt! I am pretty thrilled about this because it nearly matches the maroon tights in my previous post. The day I wore that ensemble I remember thinking it would be nice to have a dark brown or maroon skinny belt. All I had to do was wait a few days. Thank you, Wallet-friendly Wednesday.

Tell me, have you ever found exactly what you were looking for thrifting or otherwise?

11 comments:

Lexie said...

i try not to have in mind something i want because i hate feeling disappointed if i dont find it! however, i was about to order a chambray shirt from UO but found one the very next day at salv army! so happy!

chelsea said...

It tends to be that if I am looking for something specific I will never find it. With that said, I found the skinny black belt, that I am constantly wearing, just when I was looking for it.
I love the buckle on this maroon belt of yours. So great.
PS- I do have to wear the ultra large shirt that the store gave me since it has the store name embroidered across the back. Though, I am tempted to see if I can just wear the long sleeve shirt (that I bought just for the job, but only had to wear an hour) instead.

muchlove said...

funny you asked that, because I JUST did a post about my thrifting finds today! Safe to say it was a "hit" day for me :)
I really like your skinny belt! I've been loving skinny belts more than big ones nowadays.

Erin Cathleen said...

I found my amazing boots! Just like we talked about! :) They're black faux-suede, knee-high and slouchy, so I can fold them down so they hit the calf if I want to. They look so hippie and fabulous! I've already nick-named them my Robin Hood boots. Wait'll you see 'em! :D Oh, and the best part? They were 50% off at Macy's! I had a $40 shoe budget and stuck to it.

P.S. Love the maroon skinny belt! Yay!

elena-lu said...

sometimes it can be tiring! like when im looking for something specific and dont find it! then i usually am upset with the whole thing! but when i go just to see what i find man those times its so fun cause i usually end up with some awesome thrift!

Ariella said...

I always wished I had an older sister for that, haha. I was always so annoyed when my sister would steal clothes from my wardrobe.
I love your new belt!

Diana said...

This feature will never be old! I know everyone can relate. I remember looking for things but never finding them at first. When I return I find it elsewhere, after I forget about it!

Imogen said...

I like the belt and I think it would go well with your last outfit. I haven't done much thrifting but you have inspired me to do so because of all your amazing finds.

lynnette said...

awww i wish we had huge thrift stores here in Singapore.... unfortunately the idea of wearing someone else's clothes is not very welcomed by a lot of the older generation (all those stuffy traditional Chinese moms... sheesh). I guess it's a cultural thing for them to view being able to purchase brand new clothes for oneself as a mark of self-reliance and possibly success... but the younger generation aren't so stuffy thank goodness!!

i would love to be able to visit a nice thrift store in the U.S one day!! X))))

Amelia said...

That belt is totally lovely! I went to the thrift store on Weds, too, but I was really disappointed because everything was totally overpriced. I got a dress for $5, but it was only that cheap because everything was 50% off. I need to go outside the city where thrift stores haven't inflated prices so much. Or I can just steal things from my parents. That's always good :)

Becca Joy said...

You are too kind! I read each of your comments and they warmed my heart, thank you so much for all your lovely words. I do love thrifting, and it can be a disappointment when you don't find a single thing, thats why I try and go often, therefore less disappointment because I'm always going (plus its so darn cheap!)