Saturday, March 27, 2010

Tomorrow I'll know by the rubies in your voice

It's been quiet around here as of late. Almost silent. I feel as if these words are tip-toeing across the screen. While my hiatus from blogging began unintentionally, it has been refreshing. I have missed the frequent connection with all of you, but I may stay away a bit longer. I'll be careful today not to disrupt the calm that has settled here, but know that I'll be back soon with words to say and things to share.

Before I go, I'll tell you that my days have been filled with reading books off my current ''to-read" list, wearing pretty new floral dresses now that Spring is finally here, unearthing fabulous finds at my favorite treasure trove thrift store, and laughing over episodes of Freaks and Geeks and Flight of the Conchords.

The most memorable thing I've done to pass my time recently involved the enjoyment of live music. The best kind of music, wouldn't you agree? This past Thursday night a friend and I drove out to Northampton, Massachusetts to see Basia Bulat. I had been looking forward to the opportunity to see her play live for a few years and couldn't let this one pass me by. I have no photos or video to revisit the performance with. Just perfect memories. Accompanied by guitar, autoharp and hammered harp, Basia played a delightful array of songs from her two albums. Her brother, Bobby, provided pulsating percussion rhythms and friend, Allison Stewart, played beautifully on viola. When the evening came to an unfortunate end, I shook Basia's hand and thanked her for a wonderful performance. Walking down the sidewalk after leaving the venue, I turned to my friend and said "I am so happy right now."

Here is the music video that first introduced me to Basia Bulat. And yes, she played this song during her set just like I hoped she would.

Basia Bulat - The Pilgriming Vine



Video from Myspace Music Videos

7 comments:

chelsea said...

Oh, the concert really does sound like a magical night! I am glad you are enjoying your blogging hiatus. I'll write you a note soon and send it off through the old fashioned mail.
(And I too have been cracking up to Flight of the Conchords. Also, Freaks and Geeks is AMAZING.)

Unknown said...

Emily, you sound very content not to be trawling the internet and blogs right now! I know exactly how it feels. Will miss your presence and look forward to your gorgeous self coming back online again :)

muchlove said...

oh, must you stay away for so long? Hehe, good to know you're having lovely days though :)
Oh, and you asked about the photography course I'm taking. Well it's only a short course (just finished today actually), and it was basically an introduction to DSLR - which I'm still very new to! Can't say my photography has improved much in 2 days, but it's good to get a grasp of the basics and know what all the little buttons do. Plus, it's nice to get out of the apartment and meet new people in the process.

(wow, I type too much)

carly mary said...

i lovvvvvve basia.
you should check out hayden. he started hardwood records... the label she is on. my FAVOURITE OF ALL TIME!

oh and!
re: your comment
ahhh! SOCKS.
THAT IS EPIC. post photos!

yiqin; said...

I want to attend a concert!!

Diana said...

Of course it's great to have you back to blogging, but take your time. I've taken a few days off, and it's felt really good. Sometimes I have more fun reading blogs than posting!

Ariella said...

That sounds like so much fun! I hope you are doing well these days, enjoying yourself and everything you indulge yourself in :) Take the time you need and I hope you come back soon!