Monday, January 4, 2010

With a dreamy, far-off look and her nose stuck in a book

In 2009 I kept a tally of all the books I read throughout the year. My total? 23. I probably could have squeezed in a few more, but sometimes I like to pace myself through books and only read little bits at a time. Other times it may take me a while to get into a book, thus allowing it to collect dust for a few weeks before I give it another go. I did read quite a few manga installments this past year. Does that take away from my total? Maybe they should count for more since they're read right to left and impose on my accustomed left to right reading habits! ;)

I'd like to match my 2009 total or, ideally, exceed it in 2010. Currently, I'm reading Swing It! The Andrews Sisters Story by John Sforza and, after writing this post I decided to re-read, Emily of New Moon by L.M. Montgomery. After those are finished I plan on jumping in to:

  • Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri (a friend of mine gave me this book for my
    birthday last year and I'm just now getting around to it. Bad, I know! Even more so since I'm a fan of Lahiri's other works, Interpreter of Maladies and The Namesake.)
  • Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell (Okay, so I cheated and watched the BBC adaption of ''Wives and Daughters'' before reading it. In fact, I've only ever watched Gaskell adaptations - ''North and South'' and ''Cranford'' being the others. I'm excited to actually read her.)
  • Gift from the Sea by A. M. Lindbergh (I picked this up at my town library's annual book sale this past summer. It ended up staying near the bottom of my ''to-read'' book pile, but I look forward to finally cracking the cover.)
I have a few other titles in mind, but the above three are all I am committing to at present. Both my mother and one of my aunts have suggested a few books to me, so I'll eventually work my way toward those. Do you have any books you would recommend? Do share!

P.S. Do you recognize where the title to this post is from?

7 comments:

Lexie said...

your title is soooo a line from beauty & the beast! :D

Gabbi said...

I don't recognize the title but it's a lovely quote! Emily... we started a book club today!! Come by my blog and read about it... and maybe join?!♥ We are so on the same page (book joke here) today! :)

Imogen said...

23 books- that is very impressive. I'm sure you can exceed that in 2010. I really admire your love of books. I think I should read more.

chelsea said...

I used to average 3 books a week in high school. Man, to have the time to just devour literature!
I recommend anything by Francesca Lia Block, have you read her before? I am rereading the Weetzie Bat books at the moment. They are so amazing. You can see everything happening before your eyes. And Weetzie is possibly the most fashionable literary character not to be transfered to the silver screen. I plan on writing a style icon post about her very soon.
Also, I really want to read North & South.

elena-lu said...

you did well with 23!
i forgot to say that my christmas necklace story the girl i spoke of her name is emily! so when i saw a comment with the user name of Emily i got a little flutter in my heart! thank you for that :)

emma wallace said...

"She really is a funny girl,that Belle"
Hehe!

I'm afraid I read pretty exclusively two types of books: children's books (of which I can give you an extensive list of suggestions, should you so desire!) and these very old books from the beginning of the 1900s by an author named Grace S. Richmond. They are so old fashioned and some of the ideas are pretty antiquated (and a bit politically incorrect, I fear) but so cozy and warm. I love those too. So, if you are interested in either of those types, let me know! :o)

iamemmamusic.blogspot.com

Erin Cathleen said...

Ooh, these all sound like good 'uns. And I looove North and South (the BBC drama, that is). It would so be my life if I lived in industrial London... :P