Monday, July 12, 2010

Still-life

I came across the artwork of Holly Farrell in the Sept/Oct 2009 issue of Frankie Magazine that Ana B. of On Dressing Up so graciously shipped over for me several months back. A self-taught painter, Holly Farrell creates exquisite and stunning still-life and portraiture paintings of common everyday items (often of the vintage variety).

I love how when I look at her paintings it seems as if I can reach into the canvas and feel the real texture of the subject. Each piece of work is so lifelike, so vivid. Oftentimes at first glance, my brain is tricked into thinking it's looking at a photograph instead. She's that good. Among some of my favorite pieces are those that feature vintage wallpapers and juice glasses, like the following that were featured in Frankie:




A few others from the artist's website that have delighted and tickled my fancy:




Head on over to Holly Farrell's website, have a look through her archives and let me know which paintings you like!

Photos 1-3 are my own. Photos 4-8 can be found here.

5 comments:

chelsea said...

How lovely! My favorite is the books. Can't go wrong with Anne of Green Gables front and sort of center!

Tiaz said...

so nice. :D
thank you for haring this.


Chanel give away at loadingdarling.blogspot.com

Lexie said...

these are so pretty!

Erin Cathleen said...

Whoa, those totally look like photographs. My mind is successfully boggled. o_O

Imogen said...

Very pretty pictures. I especially like no 5 because the print is so vintage and beautiful.