Thursday, September 9, 2010

Secret squirrel

Secret spot / Vintage dress II

Yesterday I found a secluded, picturesque spot for taking photos. Made up of gentle slopes and pretty trees, I think I'll find myself visiting frequently. A secret escape is needed every now and again.

Secret spot / Vintage dress I

This is one of my favorite vintage dresses. I spotted it earlier this year at the Salvation Army for just a few dollars. The top half is a tad roomy, but I can deal. It's otherwise perfect and I ♥ it. If something is green and extraordinarily pretty chances are I won't be able to resist taking it home with me. Well, that is if the contents of my wallet comply.

Secret spot / Vintage dress III

Secret spot / Vintage dress V Secret spot / Vintage dress IV

While enjoying the swirling breeze and the warmth of the intermittent sunlight on my limbs, I kept hearing a faint pit-pat behind me. I had to investigate. It was then that I noticed my ankles and the soles of my moccasins were splattered with little blackish-purple berries. Elderberries, perhaps? If the charm on my necklace was an animate creature maybe his tiny face and paws would be stained from hoarding them.

Squirrely necklace Squirrel necklace + acorn
Dress: Vintage, Belt: thrifted, Necklace: H&M, Minnetonka moccasins

8 comments:

chelsea said...

I think this is my favorite post by you ever. You look so darling in that frock and the squirrel necklace is so cute. You could always take the dress into a tailor if the biggness bothers you, but I honestly cannot tell that anything is amiss. Your new picture taking spot is fantastic. I love that you have fallen leaves already! I cannot wait for that.
Also, are you aware that there is a fashion line called Secret Squirrel? http://secretsquirrellabel.com/

Lexie said...

what a sweet picture spot! and that dress is just gorgeous!

emma wallace said...

Ahhhh. This post made me sigh aloud when I saw it! So pretty and enchanting!

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys said...

Oh Emily, this is one of my favourite of your photoshoots! The location is just perfect and I absolutely love the dress. I like how on closer inspection it's pink and green, though from farther away it could be brown! And you certainly went to town with the critter jewellery didn't you? I sooo hope there are still some when I can get to an H&M!

Raquel said...

Emily this dress is so you! And it suits you perfectly! Great find! :) Also that's a lovely place to shot pictures, and it matches the dress!
oh and that necklace' I have a friend whom would be so jealous, she loves squirrels :) guess you've been pretty lucky on finding the perfect jewelry at H&M!
oh and your birthday package arrived today! thanks so much dear! I loved it :D

Ariella said...

Beautiful photos, Emily. That place looks like a secret escape indeed, somewhere you can come and lie down with a book to read :)

I think the dress with its moss green color suits the scenery so well too. It's a great dress really and I can't believe it was only a few dollars.

muchlove said...

That vintage dress is absolute perfection! You look so pretty in it, and I love how you've belted it too. Such lovely lovely photos :D

Louise said...

Oh I adore your dress, what beautiful colours! Finding treasures like that is the very best, isn't
it? :)

http://hellonancydrew.blogspot.com