Thursday, February 10, 2011

Rockin' Robin

Photobucket

This outfit has been a favorite of mine this winter. After wearing it a few weeks ago, I was itching to do so again. So cozy! It's assemblage almost didn't happen, though. I've nearly given this skirt away on several occasions and was ready to again recently, but decided to let it stick around awhile longer. I'm glad I did. After not wearing it for the longest time, I've had a multitude of ideas floating around as to what to wear with it.

So, speaking of winter, we've certainly been having a white one! I can't remember it snowing so much or so frequently in recent years, but then again my memory is often faded and fuzzy when it comes to wintertime things. I go straight from autumn to spring leaving winter a sad and lonely blur. This one hasn't been that bad, though. Or, at least I'm trying not to let it get me down. Shoveling and removing all the snow off my car is good exercise, right? Right. But, I'm still yearning for spring. In American culture the robin is a, if not the, symbol of spring. So, I decided to speed things up a bit with this brooch I received for Christmas. Which, oddly enough, was rather appropriate as well since the robin is a Christmas symbol in Britain. And elsewhere around Europe? Does anyone have an answer to that?
Photobucket
Photobucket
Sweater: J.Crew (old), Skirt: Urban Outfitters, Tights: Hue
Bass loafers: gift, Vintage brooch: gift (via Etsy)

19 comments:

SOJOURNED IN STYLE said...

the loafers are splendid! I am also with you on not giving your skirt away. I sometimes find myself reminscent on past items I've given away with a bit of regret. lovely ensemble

Katie Burry said...

What a lovely outfit! I adore your skirt and your shoes are adorable. <3

It's snowed a lot by me, as well. I am done with winter. I want spring. Now. At least it's been sunny the past few days - and the days are getting longer. It's nearly half-past-five as I write this and it is not yet dusk yet. <3

~ Katie
http://www.beautifully-pure.com

Raquel said...

I am so glad you didn't give this skirt away, it's too cute and so versatile!
Portugal has had a rigorous winter too, not with that amount of snow, that only happens in the high mountains and northeast of the country/mainland. But anyway, in Madeira there isn't an actual winter, no cold weather, well again, there is only in the island's highest points, but at the shore it's always at least 15ÂșC so I can't really wear a coat or anything too warm. So that's why I'm jealous of you! Well that and your skirt and lovely loafers :P

PS: Your last comment was so sweet! Thanks so much dear. And I've done it again today, more red!!

Imogen said...

So sweet Emily and I am also pleased that you kept the skirt. I love your brooch it is so beautiful and you have the most amazing hair.

Franca said...

such an adorable brooch and love the skirt! Definitely the right decision!

I don't think robins have a particular symbolic meaning in Germany or Luxembourg.

muchlove said...

I love these photos and your sweet outfit Emily. The robin brooch is like the cherry on top. I always associated robins with Christmas (I guess that's my British childhood influencing me).

x

laura said...

what a darling brooch! and those loafers-- I want! And that skirt really does look super pretty on you. Huzzah for keeping it! :)

chelsea said...

A lovely brooch. I wish the robin folklore was true. I saw a flock of robins in the park a couple weeks ago. They must have left spring behind in the warmer climates. They were sure cute though.

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys said...

I´ve always associated robins with both winter and spring (I guess cos I´m a half-breed that way). That brooch is lovely; was it vintage or handmade? And this is a lovely cozy outfit for negotiating the path between the snowbanks.

Erin Cathleen said...

I love the fun buttons on your skirt. :) Tricky to see in these photos, but too cute!

Here's hoping we see some robins flocking around here soon!

Comtesse de ferveur said...

I adore your gorgeous brooch. I think the robin is seen as Christmassy here as he's one of the few birds that sticks around through winter. Also, he would eat holly berries, pairing him up with another colourful Christmas symbol. Just some guesswork. Great skirt too - it's a keeper!
xxx

Unknown said...

A perfect Emily outfit complete with vintagey brooch. I hope you're keeping warm over there, lovely. Think of the toned, muscly arms you'll get shovelling all that snow :)

Emily, Resplendent Tranquility said...

@Emily: It's vintage. I meant to make note of that in case anyone asked. Whoops.

Miss Jolie said...

Just adorable !
http://missjolieaparis.blogspot.com/

laura said...

hi emily! thanks for the sweet comment. i got my hk shirt online at F21 but in the plus section because the ones they had at the regular section just weren't that cute. :)

The Merry Traveller said...

May I just say how much I love the brooch and the loafers. I've been trying to find me some loafers like yours. I ordered some online but the size is too big so I am continuing my search.

Robyn said...

Ooo I love the brooch. I know the feeling, of refalling in love with a piece of clothing. Not wearing it for months, going to give it away, then suddenly changing your mind and wearing it all the time. Story of my shopping addicted life.

caitlin said...

that brooch is so sweet, and i love your loafers!!

tm said...

I have this sweater too, but in yellow! I've had it for years but can't bring myself to get rid of it. Better quality than most of what jcrew makes these days.