
Snowy days like these always result in ''Valley Winter Song'' by Fountains of Wayne being stuck in my head for hours. You know, ''the snow is coming down on our New England town and it's been falling all day long..." I love it, but it intensifies this New England complex I have. I'm so close to living in New England, but, alas, I do not. A stone's throw away from three bordering New England states is still not New England. Gah. Hey ancestors, why did you move from Massachusetts and Rhode Island to New York? Kidding... sort of.
Okay, so in regard to my post title I'm taking some big liberties at calling our small front porch a ''stoop.'' What can I say? I like the way it sounds. I'll even let go of my longings for New England momentarily and fill you in on some New York State history. Back in the 17th century before New York was captured and renamed by the British it was known as New Netherland. At that time there were many Dutch trading posts and forts scattered along the Hudson River. The region is still rich in words taken directly and derived from the Dutch language. ''Stoop'' meaning a small (though usually urban) porch is a derivative of the Dutch ''stoep.'' And there you have a quick history and etymology lesson for the day.
Okay, so in regard to my post title I'm taking some big liberties at calling our small front porch a ''stoop.'' What can I say? I like the way it sounds. I'll even let go of my longings for New England momentarily and fill you in on some New York State history. Back in the 17th century before New York was captured and renamed by the British it was known as New Netherland. At that time there were many Dutch trading posts and forts scattered along the Hudson River. The region is still rich in words taken directly and derived from the Dutch language. ''Stoop'' meaning a small (though usually urban) porch is a derivative of the Dutch ''stoep.'' And there you have a quick history and etymology lesson for the day.

Ruffle collar cardigan: TJ Maxx, Skirt & belt: thrifted
Vintage brooch: thrifted, Bass loafers: gift
I snagged this darling vintage brooch the other day while poking around the Goodwill. Despite it being a flower, the scroll-like metalwork in the back reminds me of a snowflake. Very winter appropriate, no?



18 comments:
great etymology lesson! i appreciate any well taught lesson. you look so lovely the brooch is such a good find
You should have a complex! You don't live in New England and while you live in the state of stoops, you don't actually have one! Hehe. I've always wanted a stoop myself; I would sit on it in a long skirt drinking wine from the bottle and harrangue my neighbours!
The new brooch is very pretty and perfectly winter-cum-bridal, but I really really love the wool plaid skirt.
Oh my it looks so cold there! What a contrast when comparing it to here at Madeira. Today was so warm that I was really hot with my tights on, all I wanted to wear was a dress and sandals! But it surely looks too pretty there :) The new (to you) brooch is lovely and it resembles a snow flake indeed :)
Also, I have a little reply to you on my last post if you want to read it. Hope you have a great weekend dear Emily!
PS: You look so nice, as usual, but those loafers are the touch that puts the whole look higher.
wow, look at all that snow! Beautiful (and I imagine freezing!) And yes, that brooch looks very winter appropriate. Very snow flake - like! I love the plum purple and brown tones of your outfit too.
So from what you're describing, New England is Narnia, right? :P
I miss the east coast weather! Love the outfit. I wish it was cool enough to wear here!
Looks very dapper : )
there's definitely a narnia feel both to my perception of new england AND to your outfit! both are so pretty.
Such a lovely brooch! A darling find :D
I love the pictures in the snow they are so beautiful. Like I always say, I can't imagine what it would be like to have so much snow. Your outfit is so perfect and looks very warm too. The skirt and top are grogeous and the brooch is stunning. I hope you are well Emily.
Hello Emily! I love your outfit, especially the colour combination and the plaid skirt is very Nancy Drew esque! I wish I had a stoop too!
(I emailed you back also!)
brrrrrr...but you look like Laura Ingalls in a most adorable way. I love the plaid skirt on you. Perfect for the snowy chilliness.
The second picture is fantastic! What a lucky shot!
nice vintage look, great blog
Oh my goodness! That brooch is stunning! I love how you combines something so ethereal with your cozy, earthy colors!
Oh so adorable, Emily. You're the queen of winter dressing. I adore your vintage and sweet old-fashioned touches. Love the throwback style.
Wow... you want to be in New England, and all I've wanted to do for years is move back to New York! We both have complexes! I'll trade you, if you want. :P
I am actually *dying* for a change and am seriously considering packing up and heading west... as in past New York! Wanna come? :D
nice! who doesn't love a little history with their outfit post?
This skirt is lovely - I love a good wool plaid skirt - or dress - or coat :)
Hi! Just saw your post over at Ruby Slipper, and noticed you also have a Sony Cyber Shot. I just got one for my upcoming trip, and I'm having a bit of a hard time with it. My photos seem to all have a gray-ish tinge. Yours all look lovely and warm. What's your secret?!? Do you have any tips for me?
Post a Comment