Thursday, April 14, 2011

Diana Mini and Me


A few months ago I treated myself to a new camera: the Diana Mini. We're not the best of friends yet, but we're warming up to each other. I'm having a hard time advancing the film properly while using the 24X24mm square format (I haven't tried the 24X72mm rectangle format yet). The directions are very clear stating to ''advance the wheel anticlockwise until it stops [...] in square mode 1/2 a turn.'' Simple, right? Yeah... I'd like to think so. I have good faith in my ability to follow instruction manuals, but I really don't know if it's me or the camera. I suppose it all comes down to good ol' trial and error. I'll get the hang of it eventually! In the meantime, here are some shots from my first trial roll.



If you look closely, this is actually a subtle double exposure.

Notice my film advancing skillz! All joking aside, I do like this one.

As far as happy accidents go, this is my favorite.

Diana Mini and I are heading out on a walk now. Be certain that any progress made in our friendship will be shared at a later date :)

Camera: Diana Mini
Film: Fujifilm 200

17 comments:

SOJOURNED IN STYLE said...

I see the relationship gradually coming together in a compatiable unison ;) I am terrible with directons and can't imagine how to operate this. the layering is magical. the last one is my favourite too.

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys said...

Ah great. Another camera for Emily! I really like the doubly exposed second picture, and the last one is absolutely my favourite!

Raquel said...

It may have been an accident but the last photo is my favourite too! Although all of them are great. I never used a Diana so I don't know if it's from you or not, but I'd dare to say it isn't since all of your film photos are so nice pictured and developed :)

Rhianne said...

Honestly, your first roll is AMAZING! I loooove happy accidents and these really are lovely, especially the last one.

the mini is a tough cookie to crack but you'll fall hard for her when you finally are best friends :)

and you'll get the hang of the advance, just don't try and turn it when its stopped, when I first used the half frame I kept thinking it wasn't turning enough and I ended up snapping my first roll :(

laura said...

pretty! And your cammie is really cute! I bought a HK lomo and still haven't developed 3 rolls.... I am not camera literate (you already knew that) but I am planning on taking classes to learn!
hearts, laura♥
the blog of worldly delights

islabell said...

oh those double exploded shots are so pretty. i love the late one, the fire place and the sunset. PLaying with different film cameras is so much fun....holding your breath waiting for them to be developed

x

Jo - Lost in the Haze said...

What a beautiful roll of film! The photograph of the flower is gorgeous. I love how it looks like it's in snow!

x
www.lostinthehaze.com

lynnette said...

those are fantastic!! :) oh man I actually have a holga but i never figured out how to use it... the first roll of film that came out was a dud and from there on I was too afraid to try it again... How do you change the film anyway? Like I'm always paranoid about it getting exposed...

Anyway the 'accident'-al ones are the nicest! :)

Federico Panarello said...

cuuute shoes!

MY CUP OF COFFEE

Ashley/ MILK TEETHS said...

whoaa the last photo is so trippy, it looks like a paper collage. I've never had good luck with holgas (i just dont have the patience and get so sad/mad when more than half the developed photos are garbage) but i'm sure you two will become bffs in no time :)

Imogen said...

I think the pictures are really beautiful. I'd love to try some different camera. I have only ever had the same type but right now that doesn't even more.

Imogen said...

*work anymore.

chelsea said...

These are so cool. I like the subtle double exposure one. The flower looks like it is about to light on fire!

Anonymous said...

Gotta love a good accident. The last picture is awesome! :)

Louise said...

I really enjoy seeing your pictures, Emily :) The one of the trees in winter is divine. I just saw your email, will reply asap! :)
Also I tagged you for a blog award!

muchlove said...

I love the subtle double exposure and the snow. Really beautiful.
As with any friendship, I'm sure with a bit more time, you'll develop an even more lovely bond ;)

Rebeccak said...

I love these double exposures - they are really cool!