Saturday, June 25, 2011

Resplendent respite

A ten day respite from blogging wasn't necessarily intentional, but without realizing it I found it most welcome. Even now my Google Reader is growing with unread posts and while I want to swing by your blogs and comment (and say hello to new readers), I've been telling myself to breathe and step back. Or at least to find more of a balance. I'm still here, just in a more delayed form.

The past ten days have passed much like most days do around here. In my free time I've been reading and enjoying the company of visiting family (most notably my sister and an out-of-town auntie). Heck, I've even been bumping into family in unexpected places, for example: an uncle at the Salvation Army and another auntie and some cousins outside of a big box store. My grandmother and I have been watching baseball, as usual, along with our other favorite television programming (Antiques Roadshow and American Pickers). I'm content and happy in these moments. Tell me, how have you been?

June has been rather funny weather-wise this year. One day it's so hot and humid you can't think straight and the next you're bundled up in tights and a cardigan. But, really, that's just weather in the Northeast for you. Today I've been enjoying the sound of raindrops pit-patting on leaves and marveling at the mysterious roar of thunder.






Cardigan: thrifted, Shirt: Pull & Bear/gift from Raquel
Jeans: Levi's, Shoes: H&M

10 comments:

Jo - Lost in the Haze said...

It is funny how blogs mount up when you're away isn't it! I hope you enjoyed your wee hiatus! P.s. I simply adore your unicorn top!

x
www.lostinthehaze.com

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys said...

What a perfect colour of cardigan, I will need to keep an eye open for something like that come fall.

I can't stand it when summer weather is changeable; I feel I spend ages looking forward to summer and if it wimps out on me I get very irate! Nonetheless, the occasional day spent listening to pattering rain is no bad thing. And neither, of course, is taking blog breaks!

Oh, and about the tumblr picture, how random! Great minds think alike, and all that. : )

Raquel said...

Aw so nice to see you wearing that shirt in such a lovely way. It looks perfect with the cardigan and the jeans give it a laid back look. :)

No worries about blog breaks, I've been thinking of taking of myself, I've been much uninspired lately, and want to not worry about blogging too much... Of course enjoying your family (and bumping into them too!) is very pleasant.

And a bit of rain here wouldn't do any arm, it's been so hot these past few days and even worst today, it's around 40ÂșC!! I stepped outside for 10mins and came back all sweaty ugh.

Louise, For Sentimental Reasons said...

I love the title alliteration :) You look so peaceful sitting on your porch, and the picture of raindrops on the window makes my heart happy in a very peaceful way. :-)

chelsea said...

I too have been taking a break from blogging. I am just now reading a bunch of blogs and realizing how many posts I have missed.
Can I just say how much I love Antiques Roadshow? Dominic and I are now making our way through Oceans which was on the BBC. It makes me want to be a whale researcher all over again.
Our weather has been sort of funny here too. So many people were complaining about the cool weather and rain and I just wanted to smack them, since the other option is hot and humid. Please be cool and rainy, I beg you weather!

Courtney said...

i just visited my brother in boston, and it was rainy and a little chilly until the very last day. back in denver today & met with 90 degree weather. ick. sounds like you've had a nice break from the blog world.

laura said...

I've been slacking with the blogging. Even if I don't have a job (yet!!!) I just find that I have a lot of other stuff I want to do instead of staring at the computer screen. Not to say that I don't enjoy it, but I enjoy other stuff too :)

That is one lovely cardigan you have there, Emily! and the print on that shirt (and the collar) is super sweet!

♥ laura
the blog of worldly delights

Lexie said...

i love the print on your tshirt! the weather here in TN has either been VERY hot or overcast and bearable. i haven't really been a fan so far.

Unknown said...

Sweet little Peter Pan collar and print, Emily. Blogging break is always fantastic :) But always good to have you back as one of my favourite bloggers on the net. Antiques Roadshow is one of my guilty pleasures. Tehehe.

lynnette said...

what a gorgeous photo of raindrops... :) there's nothing i like better than lying in bed listening to the sound of raindrops and falling back to sleep...

how cute is it that you and your grandma watch baseball together!! any favorite teams?? i've never actually watched a single game before! haha because we don't really have baseball in Singapore...