Friday, September 23, 2011

Hold on to your hats


Earlier this week I set out to give my little white frock one more proper summer outing. And what would a white summer dress be without a straw hat to accompany it? Incomplete, that's what. I don't know if I can legitimately call this hat a boater or not. The brim seems a tad too big. What I do know is that I like it a lot and I overcame my aversion to second-hand hats for it. My aversion to second-hand hats is like my aversion to second-hand shoes: I generally do not go near them. Speaking of shoes (new and unworn, that is), last year I was smitten with the Swiss-dot flats I was seeing all over the place. In usual fashion, though, I hemmed and hawed over the potential purchase and eventually missed out on them. Or so I thought until one day a few months back when I happened upon them during a side-tracked shopping trip. I was supposed to be running errands at Target, but slipped into Marshall's ''just to look.'' ;)




Hat: thrifted, Dress: J.Crew, Shoes: Restricted via Marshall's

P.S. Happy first day of Autumn everyone in the Northern Hemisphere! I couldn't let the day pass without mentioning it :)

12 comments:

Raquel said...

I think this is the best "goodbye summer, hello autumn" post I've seen! I adore the look and the pictures. The hat, dress and shoes are all beautiful and go so good together. You look absolutely beautiful Emily!

Heather, 29 Skirts said...

Beautiful black and white look! This makes me think of Anne of Green Gables, except of course your hat is nice and new! How cool that you got a second chance to buy those shoes...they must have been meant for you, hehe.

Sara Kristiina said...

Oh I wish it was summer here .. Beautiful dress!

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys said...

It seems that both of us couldn't let summer go without bidding goodbye to the dress! This is a lovely look, perfectly Victorian child! And I like how the black tights look with the dress, though I would have thought it would be too dark. Oh well, just another nine or ten months until I can wear this dress again!

Joy Soltys said...

This is such a great transition outfit. I always buy hats and never wear them...but seeing posts like this makes me want to give them another try!

Magda said...

lovely post¡¡¡ great pics :D

i love your blog :D kisses from Mexico...

Annebeth said...

oh yes, just a last spin for our gorgeous summer frocks! but this dress would look gorgeous with chunky knits too, it's too lovely to hide away for months :)

Rebeccak said...

Ohhh love that wide-brimmed boater. It is like a boater that actually offers sun protection!

Anonymous said...

Emily, you look beautiful! Over the summer, I went to an Amish town to look for a boater hat exactly like the one you have! (ok, maybe with a smaller brim, but still) Yours is so lovely and goes super well with the dress AND the black tights! Those shoes are also darling. I love the little knotted details for texture. :)
♥ laura

the blog of worldly delights

muchlove said...

That outfit is perfect! Yes, I think that straw hat (maybe it's a wide boater hat? does such a term exist?) completes the look too. I need to look for similar shoes too. I'm running out of good flats..

chelsea said...

This whole outfit reminds me of Anne of Green Gables. It's the straw hat, I'm sure. And those shoes are fantastic!

Unknown said...

What a pretty outfit, perfect! :)

http://theatticpeoplevintage.blogspot.com/