Saturday, September 17, 2011

On glasses and birds





Blouse: Forever 21, Dress: Cynthia Rowley via TJ Maxx
Rings: H&M, Wedges: Anne Klein via TJ Maxx
  
Glasses?  Yep! They are my life-savers. I am a terrible squinter otherwise. And I generally choose not to include them in my photos because I like keeping them all to myself. I suppose a little sneak-peek every now and again is alright, though. I desperately want a pair of tortoise shell frames (been dreaming of a pair since '05), but whenever I'm due for new specs they are either a) unavailable or b) out of my budget. It's come to my attention that they can be obtained via the internet (yay), so perhaps at some point future Emily will have a pair.

In an attempt to make this post even more random (read: boring), I am going to ramble on about birds. Two very different species at that: the turkey and the hummingbird.


We've been seeing this flock of turkeys frequently (sometimes twice a day). They are usually either wandering through our field or poking across the road. In latter instances, beeping the car horn once or twice helps them along ;)


Hummingbird! I always get excited when I see these little beauties. Doesn't everyone? I was especially delighted to see this one today because I thought they had migrated south already.

12 comments:

Heather, 29 Skirts said...

That blouse is so pretty, and what a perfect black dress! Seriously, it looks like it fits so nicely and could easily be dressed up or down.

Haha, bird pics are ALWAYS fine with me! My brother and I went through a bird-obsession period when we were...I think maybe 11 and 8? We used to sit on the dresser in his room and stare out the window at the sparrows, house finches, towhees and quail that would run around in the brush outside. We even had a bird guide book and taught our youngest brother to identify some birds as well. Oh wow, it's funny how this post brought all that back.

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys said...

My glasses have not yet appeared on the blog either! Although I don't know that I'm "keeping them to myself" I think tortoiseshell ones would be most excellent!

Now, onto the birds. I like the scruffiness of those turkeys. Are they wild turkeys? I always imagine that turkeys get grown in boxes for Thanksgiving these days.

And I'm a bit mystified by the hummingbird pictures. I have never in my life seen a hummingbird eat from a feeder sitting down. They're always there in a blinding whir of wings! In any case, well captured! Hummingbirds, along with herons, are my favourite birds. : )

Tabitha said...

If I loved my glasses enough I would totally sport them, but I'm in the process of getting a new pair and will def rep them when I get them.

muchlove said...

Emily, I didn't know that you wear glasses too! I usually take them off when I used to do outfit posts too, although lately I've just left them on (not that I do many outfit posts anymore though!).
I am in love with your outfit, and wish I could replicate it to wear to work!

I'm enjoying reading One Day. It's taken me a while to get through, but I'm about halfway through now and starting to pick up speed and interest. Did you like it? I'm hoping to finish it before I see the movie!

chelsea said...

You know, I don't think I've ever seen a hummingbird land before! That is just so cool. As are the turkeys. The bird pictures and info are not boring at all, though I am a nature/science geek, so I find it all fascinating.
And I think your glasses should be featured more than just a peak. You look cute!
Great layering, by the way.

Anonymous said...

I love your blouse, the pattern and the collar are so cute and goes great with the black dress.
I have tortoise shell frames myself and I love them, they're getting a bit old but I'm actually considering getting another tortoise shell pair. If only frames weren't so expensive, right?
Also I'm so intrigued by the hummingbird photo, as I'm in Europe I've never even seen one!

Teaka said...

As much as I too try to hide my glasses for photos it simply can't be avoided unless I'm wearing contacts. I'm pretty much blind without them. But with your totally awesome black dress I'm thinking you just look super smart and cute together!
Which is always great combo! :D

Keep Warm (Danielle) said...

That tree branch ring makes me swoon!

Anonymous said...

Emily, you are a dream! I love black on you-- it looks amazing against your complexion and hair :) That dress was totally made for you! And I simply adore the mixing of blouse and dress together. Lovely.

I didn't know you wore glasses! The dark frames look sweet on you. I don't usually wear my glasses for pictures, but every once in a while they pop up, as I'm sure you've noticed. I need to save up for another pair, though. I want colored frames, but I still have to find the right (and affordable) pair.

Oh man. I've never actually seen turkeys in the wild. And I definitely haven't seen hummingbirds ever! I do have a bird feeder outside my house, but haven't loaded it up with feed since I run out about a month ago. We have tons of cardinals here and they like to also eat the berries that grow in my front yard. My kitties are always so mesmerized by them :)
♥ laura

the blog of worldly delights

caitlin said...

what a beautiful blouse! since i've been working at a computer all day for three years, i really need a pair of glasses (yea tortoiseshell!) but the pairs i really like are always out of my price range... someday :)

The Semi Sweet said...

I'm just now stumbling onto your blog and I really love it. This outfit is very cute!! And I love the rambles going on about the birds.

Kirstin said...

I love that pretty print on your blouse! I have also been seeing flocks of turkeys, it is crazy to see such large birds roaming around in huge packs!