- I recently discovered another stash of well preserved family treasures including photographs, postcards and letters my great-grandfather wrote home to his sisters and sweetheart during World War I. I have delighted at this glimpse into my family's history and sorely wish I had taken a greater interest in it all while my grandmother was still alive. When I think about the conversations we could have had I can't quite tell if it makes me happy or sad. I end up resolving my feelings by knowing that she would have eagerly shared her wealth of memories and that, ultimately, is a comfort.
- The majority of my January weekends have been spent making homemade soups and stews - the best winter meal, if you ask me. Pictured above is my second batch of mushroom barely stew. It's hearty, fragrant, savory (and flavored with thyme and cumin - mm!) and, most importantly, easy to make.
- Maple sugar hard candies. Enough said.
Sunday, January 29, 2012
Lately
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



9 comments:
That's so great that you have those letters... I wish I had something like that of my grandparents. Also, the soup looks delicious! My sister and I have also been on a small soup trip too. Great comfort food on a cold day!
The mushroom barley stew looks wonderful and I wouldn't say no to a plate of it right now! As for maple candies... I'm sure you know my thoughts on the matter!
I also wish I had had more conversations about history with all members of my family who are now deceased... and recorded them. At least yours has left you such a wealth of archival pieces for you to enjoy!
it's refreshing that these are real pictures and not instagram'd shots!
that soup looks sooo good!
I'm so jealous of your family treasures! Especially of that illustrated postcard! Please keep posting photos of them.
That soup looks so amazingly filling. Where did you get the recipe?
I too feel melancholy for all the stories I was not able to hear from my father's mother. I'm trying to make a large effort with my mother's mother so that I can know as much as possible about part of my family.
So THIS is how the mushroom and barley stew looks like! MMMM my tummy just rumbled. It looks so fantastic. And I haven't ever heard of maple sugar hard candies. But they sure sound sweet.
♥ laura
the blog of worldly delights
The family photos gave me chills. I can't even imagine, truly amazing i bet!
your photos are beautiful, emily. i always have a hard time making soup/stews look pretty :P
I too love pouring over well preserved family photographs. My cousin just sent me another batch of them digitally. I'm thinking of looking for a place to print them out that could do a better quality than my little printer. I love the stories that go with them. Some of them seem so scandalous but so richly fascinating. Your mushroom barley stew sounds DELICIOUS. It's totally inspired me to make something similar!
Oh you're so lucky to have so much family history, Emily. I wish I had things like these. Your comment about your grandmother has stirred up a lot of thoughts in my head.
Post a Comment