Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Wallet-friendly Wednesday

It's been quite a long time since I shared a Wallet-friendly Wednesday post (or any type of regularly featured post, for that matter). On and off throughout 2009 and 2010 I would chronicle my Wednesday Salvation Army thrift store hauls (Wednesday being half price day). Even though I fell out of doing this, today's loot was too good not to share!

tweed!

I was feeling good about today's thrift trip even before setting foot in the store, but really couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this green wool blazer. And in my size, too! I almost bought one from L.L.Bean last week, but didn't want to part with so many pennies. This one only set me back $2.50. Pictured next to it is the newest addition to my cardigan family: a slightly over-sized, tweedy merino-cashmere blended, elbow-patched specimen of coziness! I happily forked over a few dollars for it.


My dad has a nice collection of both blue and clear glass bottles and while he usually just finds them (in the ground, in old houses, at the dump, etc), I don't mind spending a little bit when I come across nice ones such as this. For 20 cents, I'll probably use it as a vase. What about those porcelain puppies, you ask?

pencil holder and sharpener

One is a pencil holder and the other a pencil sharpener! 98 cents for the pair. I know, it takes a moment for the awesomeness to sink in.

10 comments:

Lexie said...

what a haul! those puppies would be sooo awesome in my classroom -- i am slightly jealous! :-)

Anonymous said...

Oh, so cute!!!
And i love that kind of buttons on jackets ... very classy ;)

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys said...

Oh, I'm certainly looking forward to seeing more of that blazer... and the sweater of course too!

chelsea said...

Oh, now you've got me all excited about the thrifting trip I'm planning on Sunday. I need a few items, hopefully that doesn't stop me from finding them. You know how it goes, if you are looking for something specific, forget about it.

Raquel said...

Ahhh, I want that blazer and cardigan! Amazing finds, you lucky lady!

I really like glass bottles to decorate too, but unfortunately never came across nice ones while thrifting to bring home, need to continue the search.

SymbioticLife said...

I love thrifting and those puppies are priceless.

Anonymous said...

Emily, I am so happy that you shared your haul! I really love the fabric on the blazer and I am still hoping to find myself a cute cardigan with elbow patches like that! If I don't find one soon, I may just have to make one, which I have no time for really.... Also, how cute are those puppies? I can't believe someone actually wanted to part with them! I don't usually use regular pencils, but if I had those, I would ONLY use regular pencils. Have a lovely weekend!

♥ laura
the blog of worldly delights

Gabbi said...

Great finds! Especially the two pups at the end!!

Unknown said...

Oh don't you love quirky little vintage finds like those puppies?! At first you think they're just knick knacks and finding out they're also functional is a total bonus. I found a pair of porcelain bears once - one playing the trumpet, the other the drums. For ages I thought they were just figurines but then one day someone pointed out they were salt and pepper shakers!

Dus of Cuddly Cacti said...

such fun sharpener holder set & amazing find on that coat- lucky you!! i'm always on the hunt for a great coat but I just figure it's not cold enough here thus my bad coat luck. SUCH adorable kitties too, oh my goodness, how funny they're in the washer!
http://dusanabotswana.com/