Cardigan and dress: Target, Sunglasses: Cynthia Rowley via TJ Maxx, Shoes: H&M
The obvious choice of cardigan to wear with this dress was white or mint, but since it's still technically winter I thought another round of wearing more earthy colors was in order, hence this soft, coppery-rust beauty. I could have easily gotten away with wearing sandals today too (it's so warm and mild!), but these smokey grey/stone brown flats are rather perfect with everything. Sadly, though, I don't think I had owned them for a full 24 hours before tripping on cobblestones and scuffing the toes. Bah! Erin suggested fixing them with nail polish and voila! Not great, but not as bad as they were either.
So, this dress was another one of my I-can't-leave-Target-without-buying-more-than-I-went-in-for purchases. I am famous for those. There I was heading toward the health & beauty and grocery sections when passing the young girls department my peripheral vision beheld this fine navy eyelet piece. I gasped, my eyes got wide, and I snapped the largest size up as fast as humanly possible. Some of my favorite cardigans have come from the girls department at Target (oddly enough, or maybe not, at springtime too...), so it's no wonder that eventually I'd encounter a dress I couldn't resist.
Eyelet is one of those fabrics I have always loved. There was a specific period during my growing-up years where I had a hard time embracing my love for stereotypical girly things. I'd collect little bits of eyelet for projects I'd never undertake or envision myself in eyelet-detailed blouses, but hid behind excessively wide-leg denim and band/skater t-shirts. I think a dress like this would have broken me out of that shell! Any awkward phases of your own to recount? Let's hear!




9 comments:
It is great to see you bare legged, as you were showing snowy pictures not long ago :) The dress and cardigan are both lovely, and I didn't even notice the scuff on the shoes until you mentioned it!
I love eyelet too! I think it was a thing that came from my mom, and every time I come across an eyelet piece I usually drool over it :)
PS: The rust cardi look great with the dress, but I am sure mint would too! You should wear it and take pictures to show us soon :) (And I just bought a mint cardi today, haha!)
I. LOVE. THIS. OUTFIT. That is the perfect chambray dress ever. I used to get my clothes from GAP kids (but that was back when I was in high school and quite a bit smaller). They have some really cute designs! and I love the little bow detail in the bust!
♥ laura
the blog of worldly delights
That dress is wonderful! I don't think I've ever been able to buy anything from the girls section as an adult, but I live in hope! I have also always loved eyelet...
I think most of us who are confirmed dress-wearers now were wrapped in flared jeans and their ilk in high school. I don't even feel apologetic about it. High school exists to be survived, and sartorial experimentation, at least in my case, was for after I'd survived it! ; )
I love the rust colour with the navy, it looks great! I have a favourite rust skirt that would look great with navy thinking about it.
I always think my awkward stage was my orange jeans stage but really, I loved those jeans more than most clothes I have now...
Truth: I still hide in my flared jeans on fat days! :P
Don't you hate it when you hit up Target for toothpaste (I get my Tom's fix!) and walk out with a new wardrobe? ;) I love, love this dress, as I'm also a sucker for all things eyelet. It's something I would want to scoop up, too, but I don't think I could quite squeeze into the girls' department... even the largest size! No wonder you look just like a doll in that top pic! ;) And, hey, I bet buying a girls' dress was cheaper! Win!
I'm glad the nail polish fix helped, even a little. I have a pair of seriously scuffed PVC shoes that I fear I'll never find a polish match for; I'm thinking of scuffing them more on purpose so they look like cap-toes. Who would know?
i'm a bit too tall for target girls, but i'm going to try this on next time i go! LOVE IT.
I love your outfit...your shoes are awesome!! Happy Wednesday! xoxo
okay so you mustttt be itty bitty. because that dress! i saw it today. so jealous you can fit in it.
also, the boots, they're not bad! i put in some cheap cheap insoles from target and they're better. i didn't get blisters from them or anything, and haven't worn them for too much. walked a few miles in them. but they're so lovely that i wouldn't care if they did hurt.
I'm with you on eyelet, I love it but if it's white or say "Easter" colors, it can be too girly. The navy is a great contrast and you have a great find, as usual!
Post a Comment