Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Paper trails

Untitled

My grandmother devoted a lot of time over the last few decades to extensive genealogical research. Now, I am the caretaker of a large box filled with letters and documents, names and dates scribbled on scrap paper, several filled and half-filled family tree charts, newspaper clippings, etc. etc. There is so much more than what the above photo depicts. The thought of going through it all and I mean really going through it all is equal parts daunting and exciting. I have only scratched the surface, but am thankful for such an opportunity.

Untitled

Today I made some time to write out a few notes. I had forgotten how much I enjoy doing so, especially when pretty stationery and stamps are involved. A few more have yet to be written, but I will save them for another day. It is always nice to have a little activity such as letter writing to look forward to, is it not?

6 comments:

Blair said...

So pretty! I love your notecards :)

muchlove said...

wow those documents from your grandmother must be really interesting to go through. It must be fascinating to explore and learn about your own family's history like that.

Anonymous said...

Wow! That's a great thing to inherit, Emily. I spy a family tree template underneath that envelope :)

Thanks for your lovely note! I got in on Saturday, and I'm working on a response :)
♥ laura
the blog of worldly delights
the shop of worldly delights

Teaka said...

Writing letters and notes is a lost art. I know it's a rare thing for me to even buy stamps let alone write a letter. So sad.
I hope you find some wonderful treasures in your grandmother's stash of paper and that it inspires to you continue on with writing notes and letters to people.
Something I should really start picking up a bit more.

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys said...

I just wanted to say hello! (I read this post months ago, so it seems silly to comment on it now). But I still swing by to check up on you. :)

Unknown said...

I think you're exactly the type of person someone would want to entrust a box full of papers, clippings, etc to - sensitive, respectful of the past, gentle, and thoughtful.

xoxoxox