Friday, October 3, 2008

Delicious Autumn!

"O hushed October morning mild,
Begin the hours of this day slow
Make the day seem to us less brief."
- Robert Frost, from "October"

"There is no season when such pleasant and sunny spots may be lighted on and produce so pleasant an effect on the feelings, as now in October."
- Nathaniel Hawthorne

"I sometimes think that the other months were constituted mainly as a fitting interlude between Octobers."
- Aldo Leopold, from "A Sand County Almanac"

"Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns."
- George Eliot

"The morns are meeker than they were,
The nuts are getting brown;
The berry's cheek is plumper,
The rose is out of town.
The maple wears a gayer scarf,
The field a scarlet gown.
Lest I should be old-fashioned,
I'll put a trinket on."
-Emily Dickinson

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh! Great minds, indeed! I love this ode to October. :D Would that we were a closer distant apart... then we could get pumpkin spice lattes together and try out our autumn soup recipes! *Sigh*