Classes officially ended yesterday, but exams still need to be taken and I currently find myself in the midst of writing a paper. Said paper is resting right now while I sort my thoughts and plan the remainder of what I need to write. The task is not overbearing and only requires me to write a minimum of 1,500 words. I am already nearing the 900 word mark. I would like to finish tonight, but will also save tomorrow evening should I need it. I'm trying to stay focused and disciplined as my wandering mind is half in winter break mode already.
Speaking of winter break, I've compiled a small list of books I would like to read during this much anticipated time of rest and relaxation:
- I Am England by Patricia Wright (Highly recommended by my grandmother)
- Chronicles of Avonlea by L.M. Montgomery (Tales and short stories by the author of my beloved Anne of Green Gables series. I cannot help but love them. Their charm and innocence always brings a smile to my face and I find them to be a pleasant diversion to the mess that life can sometimes bring.)
- Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
- The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
- Howards End by E. M. Forster
I do not find my list to be too daunting, although it may become so if I decide to add to it! The last book on the list,
Howards End is a recent addition from the past week or so. I borrowed the
film adaptation from the library and decided after watching that I
must read the novel. The film on all accounts was superb. I cannot think of a better way to describe it. It won three of the nine Oscars it was nominated for in 1992 including Best Actress in a Leading Role (Emma Thompson), Best Art Direction-Set Direction and Best Writing, Screenplay Based on Material from Another Medium. The film was also nominated in the Best Costume Design category, but did not win. While watching I found myself nearly drooling over the beauty and elegance of the Edwardian era costumes. I have always admired fashion from this era, but now I feel my adoration stems from the fact that this is what my great-grandmother wore when she was roughly my age. Although I never got the chance to meet her, I tend to feel a sweet and comforting relationship with her through the photographs I've seen and the stories from my grandmother and mother. Both my grandmother and mother have told me time and again how well she and I would have gotten along. My grandmother was even so generous as to give me a brooch and a handbag both belonging to great-grandmother. Although not Edwardian, they are certainly small treasures that I hold dear to my heart.
5 comments:
Thats such a lovely story, i wish i could meet my great-grandmother :) Howards end sounds like its a good movie to pick up, is it the 40's era? I love fashion from that era too!
that is quite a book list!
i am letting my mind mush with the twilight saga! i hope you do not lose respect for me, haha.
I'm totally in the same place you are. My classes are over, but I have papers to finish. Somehow it's harder to motivate myself now that I don't have class in the morning. Your book list looks lovely. Oh, and my houndstooth tights are from Target.
Fantastic list. Free time is so nice to catch up on reading.
lovely story and blog,
love leah
xx
Post a Comment