Tuesday, March 3, 2009

"You remind me of..."

We all know that character costumes in movies serve as inspiration to our own sartorial choices. We "ooh" and "ahh" at gorgeous articles of clothing making inquiries as to where we can get a hold of them for ourselves; sometimes settling for the more practical knock-offs. Or we visualize our own wardrobes trying to figure out a way to recreate a certain outfit or look.

One ensemble that I've admired over the years is the simple costume that Jennifer Connelly wears as Sarah in Jim Henson's Labyrinth. Sure, it screams 1986 in almost every way, but it also exudes a classic and casual style, highlighted with flouncy and romantic details ideal of an imaginative girl smitten with fantasy stories. A white blouse, a great pair of jeans, and a pair of flats will always result in a feel good outfit however one chooses to style it. And why not top it off with a detailed vest, just for fun?

This scene has been one of my particular favorites:



Oh, David Bowie. This is by far the best song sequence in the film and must be shared whenever someone makes reference to Labyrinth:



EDIT: Erin just informed me that Who What Wear is currently channeling inspiration from Labyrinth! Thank you, Erin!

17 comments:

Erin Cathleen said...

I adore Jennifer Connelly's outfit. And her snazzy black barrette. And David Bowie!

Unknown said...

O my gosh. I need to watch this movie again. Hey - this stuns me because the beautiful, young Jennifer Connelly totally reminds me of you!

Liberty London Girl said...

Oh my goodness! My lost youth! LLGxx

Q's Daydream said...

OMG! One of my fav movies! When I was little I watched it over and over and had the biggest crush on David...lol :o)

chelsea said...

Yes. It is all about the sleaves with blouses like that.
And I adore David Bowie.
I want to get a boston terrier, and if I do, and if it is a boy, his name will be Bowie.

Emily, Resplendent Tranquility said...

Erin - What's not to love?!! ;)

Ana - Thank you so much! That is quite the compliment to receive! I ♥ Jennifer :)

Liberty London Girl - Haha, no '80s childhood is complete without Labyrinth ;)

Q's Daydream - I can't recall how many times I've watched this either! :)

Dearilou - Hehe, that's perfect!!! :)

Lexie said...

i have never seen this movie! i really should.

Ariella said...

I can't believe I haven't seen this. If I ever come across it, I definitely will!

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

I still need to see that film--it seems very inspiring.

Emily, Resplendent Tranquility said...

Copperoranges, Ariella, and The Clothes Horse - Do try to watch it! It's a must-see! :)

Amelia said...

Sometimes I really want to recreate a character's look more because the character is amazing and I think doing so will make me amazing too, than because I like the look. Nice inspiration.

muchlove said...

oooh, I really enjoyed watching that movie! Nice inspiration!

Narumi said...

I love Jennifer Connely she's a great actress, I've never seen this movie, she looks so young ! Her white blouse is lovely..

Anonymous said...

This is still one of my favourite movies.

muchlove said...

Thank you!!
Of course I don't mind if you add me to your blogroll :) I'll add you to mine too.

casey said...

That's is probably one of the luckiest babies ever. I mean, who else has a baby picture as cool as this?
"Oh, this picture? It's just me in a cool striped onesie, a bunch of puppets and David Bowie. No bigs."

Lavender said...

Oh how I love this film. Its seminal.