Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Outdoor Summer Reading

My town library held their annual book & bake sale this past Saturday and these are the small treasures I picked up. $0.50 for paperbacks, $1.00 for hardcovers -- can't go wrong at those prices! I have such a soft spot for paperbacks from the 1950s - 1970s with their illustrated covers and now-yellowed, delicate pages. I've also been known to collect more than one copy of a title simply for its cover design. Speaking of book covers, while at the book sale my mother picked up a beautiful copy of Little Women for me before I arrived. This particular edition was printed in 1947 and its pages are interspersed with charming colored illustrations.



What have you been reading lately?

And since I'm on the topic of books, I find this the perfect opportunity to pass along a blog award the kind and lovely Diana at our.city.lights gave me a while back. The great reads I would like to award are Much Love and Tis Serendipity!


I am terribly backlogged on sharing awards. I was awarded with the following by Much Love a few days ago and made the promise to pass it along quickly! Here's some ♥blog lovin♥ for On Dressing Up and Little Bird!

10 comments:

Blair said...

I ADORE Little Women...great find!!

muchlove said...

thank you for the award, dear!

That Little Women book is a treasure! The illustration looks so beautiful.

Raquel said...

oh my gosh! that little women book is beautiful, amazing! books for 50cent and 1dolar? I wish I could get them too!

and congrats on the awards darling!
x

Lexie said...

i LOVE little women! i've been reading poetry collections my poetry prof recommended to me! i am taking a 300 level workshop in the fall .. ahh!

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

Ooh, I love library sales--what steals!

Anonymous said...

I love Jane Austen - she's just great!

Amelia said...

I love vintage books. They always have such cool designs. It looks like you really scored.

As to what I'm reading, I just finished Every Man Dies Alone (by Hans Fallada) and am starting Love in the Time of Cholera. It's so nice to have time to read for fun again :)

Sylvia said...

The books look so nice and pretty! I love buying books, and especially the old and used ones, too. I've been reading The Bell Jar.

Amber said...

Those books are such a great find! There's something very wonderful about old books. I'm currently reading Poison Study by Maria Snyder and the next book I think I might read is Dreaming in Hindi by Katherine Rich.

tis serendipity said...

Aww thanks so much for the award!! =)) It's so sweet of you! Haha am definitely passing it on...

That 1947 edition of Little Women is such a gem! I love how it's still in such great condition and the illustrations are incredible... Sadly, I really don't have many old books though I hope to eventually get some if I get to travel around in the U.S...

Heh just finished reading NIck Hornby's How to Be Good which was quite a laugh. Do you prefer older books to more modern literature?