Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Discovering an old favorite

It's no secret that I'm a fan of L.M. Montgomery's beloved Anne of Green Gables series. At thirteen, I devoured the books one after another often bringing them to school with me to read between classes and when I could steal a few moments without my teachers noticing. The tales of Anne Shirley are among the most memorable books of my youth.

After finishing all seven Anne books I delved into reading about another of Montgomery's young heroines: Emily Starr. Similar to Anne, Emily is an orphan who finds herself in the midst of a set of circumstances uprooting her young life. Emily of New Moon, Emily Climbs, and Emily's Quest follow Emily from being a young girl sent to live with relatives to becoming a successful author as an adult.



Within the last couple of years, I became aware that the Emily series had been adapted for television and had aired on Canada's CBC Television from 1998 - 2002. Just this year I found out the series had been released on DVD making my hopes of tracking it down more likely. Then, one day last week I was flipping through the television guide and noticed that a digital sub channel our receiver picks up airs "Emily of New Moon" weekday mornings. What a surprise! I was able to watch an episode for the first time this morning and am already looking forward to when my work schedule will allow me to do so again. I'm also thinking of re-reading the Emily books as it's been 10+ years since our first acquaintance.

Tell me, do you have any beloved books and/or television series from your youth?

photo sources 1, 2

13 comments:

Imogen said...

Its so nice to rediscover something from your youth. I'm very pleased for you that you have found this again. I read parts of the Anne of Green Gables series but I mainly remember seeing it on television because my sister loved it so it was on at our house fairly often. From my childhood my favourite books were the babysitters club. I don't ever expect to return to reading them now but I remember spending lots and lots of time reading them. As for television I loved lots of the shows that were on in the 90s such as Sister Sister, Fresh Prince and Saved by the Bell.

Lexie said...

you know, my boss was telling me to track down the canada mini series on anne of green gables just yesterday! i hope netflix has it!

Nicki's Notebook said...

aaaw you just gave me a total flashback - I forgot all about that series. loved them as a little girl! x

Jen said...

I've never read Emily Starr but LOVE Anne of Green Gables. Maybe I need to check her out, sounds like lovely, easy summer reading...

chelsea said...

Of course Anne is a big influence. Has any little girl not been exposed to her in some form? I feel sorry for those who haven't. I have the dvd of all the Anne mini series (even that horrible last one that has nothing to do with the books and I can't bring myself to rewatch.)
The Chronicles of Narnia bring back a similar feeling of nostalgia. I have the BBC version and a hardbound of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe that I am thinking of rereading as soon as I am finished with another of my childhood favorites: Little Women. A book which I am now reconnecting with. There is so much that the movie leaves out that I forgot about!

chelsea said...

Oh, also, I made our Christmas stockings. Thanks! The boy's had been destroyed just before we met. Rats got into the family's Christmas box and ate everything, including his collection of Nutcrackers. The irony of which I never fail to point out. So I decided to make him a new one. Then the following year I made myself one. It is a unicorn. I left the one my mother made for me at my parents house and only intend on retrieving it when I move into a real home of my own.
What is your Christmas stocking story?

emma wallace said...

Too many beloved books to mention here! Well, I'll mention a few! Hehe! I loved Anne and Emily, also the Saturdays (that whole series) by Elizabeth Enright, all the books by Edward Eager, The Alley by Eleanor Estes, Narnia, whew. That was just some. I still devour children's books like frosted animal crackers. Thank you for writing this post! It made me happy.

iamemmamusic.blogspot.com

Raquel said...

It's so nice you rediscovered it! and even more as she has the same name as her :)
I have some books I've read when I was about 12-13 and got to reread them at 19 or so, and it sure made an impression. they were Anne Frank's Diary and A Lua de Joana - from a portuguese writer( which means Joana's Moon). And the most impressive thing was that I remembered the stories but for the second time I had the maturity to understand the books! It's amazing when that happens!

Diana said...

I would love to pick up her books again.

I loved CS Lewis books but some were a little more advanced for kids my age because of some of the topics involved.

Amelia said...

I loved Anne of Green Gables. Hmm, I might have to check out the others...

lynnette said...

Heyy Emily!! haha my exams are finally finally over!! XDD so i can finally get down to sending you another package and this time it can be Christmas themed!! :D i still can't believe how much thought and effort you put into the previous package so thank you so much!! i've only got a bit of Orbit gum left >< so am rationing it out haha...

anyway how've you been? :)

my childhood favorites were definitely The Babysitters Club and Sweet Valley. hehehe. I've never read the Anne of Green Gables series nor the Emily series... I'm definitely checking those books out at a bookstore this week. It seems like a nice time to just relax and read through some childrens' books for the fun of it!

kiki said...

Oh yesss! i used to love Sweet Valley High series when I was a kid. Hahahahhaha! I wonder if thats even popular in the States.. :)

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys said...

Nice to read this! I read the first three or four Anne books I think, but I was given Emily as a young age (because of the name I expect) and she was always my favourite. I love and recently rewatched Anne of Green Gables on television, but I was so disappointed with the Emily TV series. The kid was a brat and looked nothing like Emily, and as I recall they made her father pronounce things the American way (Canadians are a bit obsessed with things like that, at least my family--we must maintain our autonomy) and filled the stories with nonsense about second sight and spiritualism. These are my recollections anyway. I'd be interested to know what you thought of the series if you watched it?