Last month my local library held its annual book sale. You may remember that I posted about this event last year. The pickings this time around were incredible. It was sweltering under the summer sun browsing through boxes and combing over tables, but oh so worth it. I came away with so many beautiful bindings, illustrations, engravings and a few little inscriptions nearly 80 years old. Here have a look:

The Oxford Book of English Verse 1250 - 1900, Impression of 1930Within my own book collection I seem to be amassing a sub-collection of Oxford Books of English Verse. I felt compelled to buy this little volume not only for its gorgeous red and gold binding, but because it features both English and American writers. Perhaps it is a bit more compact than those focusing solely on either English or American authors, but I like it all the same.


Sketch Book - Washington Irving, published by the H.M. Caldwell Company


Sketch Book - Washington Irving, published by the H.M. Caldwell CompanyThis collection of stories by Washington Irving is by far my favorite book sale find and the most exquisite book I have ever seen. There is no copyright date in this book, but after a bit of research I am confident in stating that it was printed in either 1896, 1897, or 1898. The intricate floral design on both the front and side binding is stamped in silver and the fancy floral paper also adorning the front cover has a gold-ish ink that shimmers when it catches light. If all that wasn't wonderful enough, the original silk ribbon bookmark remained with the book tucked securely at the beginning of The Legend of Sleepy Hollow. I'm not sure if you can see it in the above photo, but the ribbon has slightly stained the two sheets of paper it's been pressed between.


The Poetical Works of Elizabeth Barrett Browning, Series I


The Poetical Works of Elizabeth Barrett Browning, Series I
This collection of poems was published by the Collins' Clear-type Press with no indication of a publication date. It is a rather dainty volume and the paper is fragile, so I'm lead to believe it is another oldie.

A Shropshire Lad by A.E. Housman, printed 1931

An Old-Fashioned Girl by Louisa May Alcott

A Shropshire Lad by A.E. Housman, printed 1931
An Old-Fashioned Girl by Louisa May AlcottI am uncertain of the publication date of this copy, but I do know that it is no earlier than 1911. The delightful engravings on both the front and back covers are such fun to look at. I see new details every time.




13 comments:
I do think! Although it's often the unappealing, yellowing beaten up paperbacks that are the best reads, it's good to have some aesthetically pleasing ones to mix them up with! I've always meant to read A Shropshire Lad, and the last work looks interesting. Somehow you don't expect anyone called Winnifred Hammond to be writing a book about Elephants!
I loved hearing about which of your jewellery would make the cut, by the way! You're lucky to have some of your great-grandmother's things... I'd love to see those featured in a post some day!
How completely an utterly fantastic! I love the Louisa May Alcott and the Washington Irving the most. I just adore old beautiful books. I have a shelf full of just old beautiful books. Mostly small Shakespeare plays with the loveliest signatures by the previous owners. Some have doodles too!
Ooh, I love all of these! Any one of them will look swell lining your bookshelves. :) I cherish all of my antique books, but I would especially love to find an old Washington Irving volume (especially one as pretty as yours!)-- he's my verrrry favorite. <3 And how sweet is that blue tome by Louis May Alcott?
Those ARE beautiful additions...I particularly love the inscription dated 1933. That is so special :)
i love old books :) they have a unique beauty that cannot be copied. you have a lovely collection :) loving your blog!
visit/follow me :)
http://dressedupallligators.blogspot.com/
Beautiful, beautiful books!
Thanks for your comments, I need to most definitely find a way to get my hands on that Jane Austen songbook...thanks for reminding me!
:)
BEAUTIFUL! I love old books. Nothing more pretty than a stack of oldies!
Old Fashioned Girl was my favorite book when I was 9. I read it literally 35 times!
there are very nice books you found!
Thanks for your mammoth comment! To answer your question: I haven't really been anywhere in the states. It's ridiculous, because I lived in Vancouver for 15 years and only went to Seattle once! For one day. Otherwise my American adventures have been confined to Hawaii, Minneapolis, Phoenix, New York and Atlanta... airports. Not those actual places. ; ) I would love to go though, really.
I'm sure you'd love Canada; it's a beautiful country. I've driven across half of it several times, but I've never been to the Atlantic provinces or even to Quebec. There are just so many great places to see!
Yellowed paperbacks are great. Penguin books came out with a collection of book bags a few years ago, based on their iconic striped covers. I so wanted the Hound of the Baskervilles, but they were all quite expensive...
Wow - this is just amazing, I love reading the notes or inscriptions people leave for others on the insides of books. seems like you're amassing a great collection. i wish my library would do a sale like this! x
http://pagesixxx.blogspot.com/
so lovely. the story, the cover, and certainly the history.
I love this post, old books tell a much better story than the print itself.
i love old books as well. i don't have any kids, but i buy old children's books whenever i find them because they are so beautiful to look at.
Post a Comment