Saturday, September 25, 2010

Neighbors to the North

Lately, a lot of my favorite music hails from Canada. Hmm, well, Canada is a pretty big place, so let me adjust that statement: Lately, a lot of my favorite music hails from Ontario. Last night I was able to see two of these favorites perform live: Basia Bulat and The Acorn.

Around 4:00pm, my beautiful friend, S, and I hopped in her car and left the Albany area headed for Brooklyn. The drive down I-87 was filled with sing-a-longs to the songs we were hoping most to hear. The sun beat down through the windows as the changing colors of Fall foliage blew past us. It was a nice beginning to the evening ahead.



( The song heard faintly in the background is "Little Waltz'' by Basia Bulat)

This was the second time this year we journeyed to see Basia Bulat play, the previous time being in March. This time, like the last, was perfectly charming and all-together wonderful. The only difference with last night's performance was the addition of more friends rounding out Basia's band. In March she was accompanied by just her brother on drums and a friend on viola. Last night, a friend on bass & upright bass and another on ukulele & keys joined in the fun. If you don't mind my shaky concert photos, here are a few glimpses of the show!

Basia Bulat

Basia Bulat

Basia Bulat

Basia Bulat

Basia Bulat

The night concluded with a stellar performance by The Acorn. Their blend of vocals, guitar and at times two drum kits was mesmerizing. If you haven't heard them yet, I suggest you do. Indie rock at its finest!

The Acorn

The Acorn

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay for Canadian music!!

Sarah (an Ontarioan)

stylefrontier said...

loks like a great night and performance!
xoxo

Unknown said...

She looks amazing up on stage! I hope you had a wonderful time. One of my favourite things to do is take a mini road trip on a summer's day and look out the window the entire time. Your video reminded me of this.

C.Elizabeth said...

That makes me very proud to be Canadian... even though I'm not from Ontario!
Looks like you've had a lovely time!
:)