Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Wallet-friendly Wednesday

It's been a great while since I've done one of these posts. That being said, today I was inspired to share some recently thrifted items that were largely inspired by a film that's pretty much held my brain hostage for the past few days. Never Let Me Go.

The filmmakers seemed to take great care in creating a film where the visual beauty nearly rivaled the poignancy of the tale being told. While the idyllic scenes of the English countryside can momentarily make you forget the movie's premise, the story is a story of sadness. Through and through. I won't delve into particulars in case you haven't read the book or seen the film yet (both of which I would highly recommend doing). What I will say is that I was overwhelming struck by the film's wardrobe, particularly those of Carey Mulligan and Sally Hawkins, and even more so by the sweaters and knits. I couldn't find many photos, especially of those items I would have liked most to share, but trust me when I say that they were superb.



So, with all of this on my brain, I went thrifting this afternoon certain that I would strike cardigan and pullover sweater gold. Hopefully in utilitarian yet feminine styles, warm earth tones, and preferably vintage. Funny how those things work out, because I did. Well, for the most part. And this being Wallet-friendly Wednesday and all, I didn't break the bank. With tax, I spent $3.97.
Let me show you what I found!




I can't wait to get these beauties washed so I can start wearing them! Three cheers for sweater weather!

Movie poster photo from reelmovienews.com
Movie stills from foxsearchlight.com

11 comments:

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys said...

You guys in the States always seem to get the best bargains on everything! $3.97? I was happy the other day to get two sweaters and a dress for £20, not that that was even so cheap... the sweaters are lovely though, and that film seems to be doing some blog rounds... I may have to check it out..

chelsea said...

Oo, I want to see that. Probably will have to wait until it comes out on DVD, however. Those are some great sweatery finds. I need some more cute sweaters. I saw one today, but the 100% acrylic made me a little wary.

lynnette said...

ooo i heard of the movie and i'm definitely going to watch it when i comes out! I've been meaning to read the book but since i caved in and read the synopsis on wiki ;p i'm sort of hesitant about starting the book because i know the ending's a sad one...! >< hate reading sad books (which would be like the majority of classics?)

anyway what nice finds you got! :D Can't wait to see how you wear them! How's October been for you so far?? Are you celebrating Halloween??

Lexie said...

i need to read this book/see this movie! it is def on my list!

i love the sweaters you thrifted!

Erin Cathleen said...

You find the BEST thrifty stuff! I need to go shopping with you so your luck can rub off! ;) And I've been dying to see this film; glad to know it gets your seal of approval. I finally Netflixed "An Education," and while the theme and subject was rather disturbing, I found the wardrobe and Carey Mulligan thoroughly enchanting! I'd say she's definitely one to watch. <3

And yes! Phone chat soon!

muchlove said...

Oh, thanks for the movie recommendation! Carey Mulligan, Keira Knightley, visually stunning scenes? This is definitely going in my "must see" list.

Excellent thrift finds too! They all look so stylishly cozy.

CoCoon said...

The last one with the princess sleeves is such a score. Amazing piece. Gotta check out this film!

www.iheartcocoon.com

Ruthie said...

Oh my!! I could possible be tempted to kill somebody for that first cardi! Just kidding but awesome find!! Thanks for your lovely comment on my blog. If you ever find yourself in NZ you know where to find me for a chat and a cup of tea.

Stay lovely :) xoxox

Unknown said...

Oooo! I love the second cardigan with the floral pattern. That price for all three sweaters is unbelievable.

Arielle. said...

where do you live?
it looks so lovely!

www.wearandwhen.blogspot.com
X

Diana said...

I love your sweaters. The price is even better!

I'm off to check out the movie. I'm quite judgy on the movie poster, but I love your opinion of it, i'm sold!