Saturday, January 15, 2011

Hats and vests and rust tights, oh my!



I've made it my mission this month to get more wear out of my hats and vests. Both are seemingly effortless items to have in one's wardrobe, but laziness often gets the better of me. It's far too easy to just pull my hair back, layer with a cardigan and call it a day. No offense, dear cardigans. You know that I love you. Well, today I decided to go all out and wear a hat and a vest (whoa, Emily). With the temperature hovering around zero degrees Fahrenheit, these extra articles of clothing were greatly needed whilst being out in the elements.



The frigid air was surprisingly fresh and didn't burn my lungs (as I feared before taking these photos). A delicate dusting of snow was falling from the sky giving our already white-world an extra dose of pretty. Despite all that, I didn't stay out long and scampered back in to the warmth where the wood stove, dog and a piping hot cup of tea were all waiting for me. I then proceeded to enjoy all three with the banjo-rrific Avett Brothers playing on the stereo.


Cardigan, dress & gloves: H&M*, Vest: thrifted J.Crew
Necklace: self made, Hat & tights: F21, Moccasins: Minnetonka

*People always ask, so just to clarify the H&M sweater and gloves are circa 2005/2006

13 comments:

Sarah Knight said...

Looks lovely : )

Comtesse de ferveur said...

I do love that combination - the cardigan is super cosy and nice tights!
xx Comtesse xx

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys said...

Yikes! I typed that temperature into my converter and was immensely glad not to be out in it!

This is a remix of a lot of my favourite items that you have. I love that sweater, and the tights, and the shoes. And I agree about hats. I like how they look but I always wish I had shorter hair when I try to wear them. Vests too.. alway on the hunt for a good one, and then I don't wear them when I find them. That one looks nice and cozy. Is it corduroy?

Gabbi said...

Lovely, I think if clothes can convey a feeling of joy yours definitely bring that across, I adore your style!

chelsea said...

You are adorable. I love those tights.
As for vests, I don't think I've worn one since the 1990's. My mum used to have a bunch and I would steal them because I thought the American Indian print was so cool. It may be totally in now, but at the time it SO wasn't.

TrophyBoutique said...

Oh I love this outfit. The sweater reminds me of being a kid in Maine. But only the good parts!
xo
Laurel

caitlin said...

i'm delighted that you are able to access your child's side! maybe it's the innocence that trips me up--i've never embraced naivete enough. it kind of bothers me that i'm not as "playful" as many bloggers out there, which was why i wrote the post. i always kind of thought there was something wrong with me! i know we're all very different people with unimaginable depth, but i envy those who can access childlike light more easily than i can. i think my creativity is much more cerebral, which is just fine, but i wouldn't mind a little more whimsy once and a while! :)

ps i love your sweater! reminds me of my llamas!

Anonymous said...

I often forget to put a hat on before I leave the house. Then halfway down the road I turn into Homer Simpson as I remember: DOH!

Love the animal cardi and bold colours. Great look.

As for missing Salzburg: I am still waiting for Star Trek type beaming technology so I can pop around my parents for coffee and cake on a whim or visit friends for a lazy afternoon. Luckily flights are fairly affordable but "on a whim" doesn't really happen.

I love spending time in Austria but having left when I was still in full time education (I was nearly 19) I have spent my entire adult life over here in the UK and I am only a local on paper. Thankfully my friends are a great source of local knowledge, so I am never short of insider tips and cool places to visit. In short: A great place to visit and catch up with old friends but my home is elsewhere :)

Keep warm and cosy!

Imogen said...

You are so good at creating outfits and layering. I love the red and blue with more neutral tones and your sweater. You look so good in that hat and I imagine it is very beneficial with the cold weather. It looks extremely cold from your pictures.

Raquel said...

I love your outfit's colours, warm and cold at the same time :)
I wear a lot of hats, have to give some use to my beret collection after all ;) though I wish I'd wear vests more often. I just got a vintage knitted handmade one from my aunt but didn't pack it in my suitcase :/
Oh and that sweater looks so warm, and pretty at the same time, perfect for snow days.

Unknown said...

Awwww! Cute. I love layering vests over my dresses too. I saw it on The Clothes Horse on Wardrobe Remix on Flickr and never looked back. I covet that reindeer cardigan.

Diana said...

That's a great style goal, Emily. I love your red tights, too.

Erin Cathleen said...

You look so cute in this combo! I especially love the Cardi. I have one from H&M that's similar, but is lacking a Moose print. Alas!