Vintage cardigan: thrifted, Skirt: J. Crew, Tights: Hue, Shoes: Bass
Monday, January 3, 2011
Secondhand ducks
Every now and again I like to hop in my car and drive without a set destination in mind. I just go where the mood takes me. Sometimes a camera comes along, sometimes it's just me. Sometimes a sing-a-long erupts, sometimes I craft poems in my head or submerge in (a healthy dose) of pensiveness. I don't venture too far these days as taking leisurely drives costs quite a bit more than when I was a new driver, but so it goes. Little bits and bobs usually find their way home with me on these trips. Everything from maple sugar candies and morsels of baklava to scrimshaw hatpins and yard sale brooches. Oh, and cardigans. One such trip to Bennington, Vermont this past summer yielded this handmade vintage beauty. It's covered in ducks! You probably don't need me to tell you that I love it almost more than a sweater should be loved and that it's pretty much my favorite thing ever. After taking these shots, beloved cardi and I actually went back up to Bennington. I guess you could say it was a homecoming of sorts. I can't tell you how the cardi felt about it, but I was happy to stroll through the big antiques center up there (and drool over the abundance of whimsies) and swing by a cute café for a specialty coffee drink aptly named Café VT. What's so VT about it, you ask? It's made with maple syrup (!!!) and every sip tastes like heaven.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




14 comments:
omg that cardigan is amazing! I love the colors and of course the ducks :)
cute cardigan, cute look.
eee! That cardigan is adorable. Great find!
xo
Laurel
I lovvvvve that cardigan! In addition to being covered with ducks it looks so chunky and thick and wooly and has great grandpa buttons! I would take it on all sorts of day trips!
I've never had maple coffee although I used to go to this cafe with maple everything (making me almost too Canadian to be real). They had maple coffee there, but I always felt it was a bit much on top of maple tarts and cookies. How was it?
Ahh Emily, the cardigan is amazing and combined with those shoes are one of the best outfits from you (apart from the fall dresses ones :p ). I am trying to get some chunky sweaters for my upcoming move to England but I think I'll save the searching for when I am actually there, there aren't many charity shops in Portugal...
I miss driving my car around alone, but my blue baby is still back at Madeira and I'm in Coimbra (not for long though!).
So adorable! I adore ducks and you look so sweet in these pics!
How I love reading about your random driving adventures! You day tripper, you. :) This cardigan is so you, and so perfect! It looks like it escaped from Bennington, Vermont. Goodness, I haven't been up there since I was a kid! I would love to go visit... and down a maple syrup-laced coffee, or two. ^_^
i almost applied to bennington college! if my life had gone in a completely different direction *I* could be the one with that AWESOME cardigan! no fair! ;)
Vintage duck sweater AND maple syrup? Hello perfect day out!
yay, vermont!! our maple syrup is the best, don't listen to anyone who tells you otherwise. i've only been down to bennington once and i've lived here my whole life!! i guess i should probably go back and investigate this antique center you speak of...
ps i love ducks! i went through a phase in middle school where i wanted everything duck-related: soap dispensers, rugs, clothes, you name it...
It truly is a great cardigan.
As for your sparrow dress with the button problem: Have you tried to replace them with bigger buttons? I did that on a cardigan that would not stay buttoned and viola! Or else, do these buttons have to unbutton? You could just sew up the top entirely. I've done that with a couple of mine, though it is easy for me, not having any breastage to account for.
I love going on drives like this it's always an adventure and I find it so fun. Your cardigan is perfect. I want it so much it is absolutely gorgeous. I love the warm colours and beautiful pattern. It looks comfortable too. I like it with the black skirt as it really makes a feature of the cardigan. Very impressed by this.
Awwww. You always find the best thrifted things, Emily. I love taking these little spontaneous drives out with my boyfriend. He needs to chaffeur me around as I can't drive. I bet a road trip with you would be fab! A little music, stopping for pretty sunset pictures and thrifting, delicious tea and cake stop. Bliss.
wow that sweater as an amazing yet undescirbible qualtiy to it. its a knitted form of art. i also like healthy doses of pensiveness
Post a Comment