Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Long-winded thoughts in oceano blu

In keeping with thoughts on and photos of color to brighten up winter, today I'm sharing my aforementioned ''Capri-blue'' tights:



Perhaps referring to such a name without a picture was somewhat misleading as I did not mean capri as in length, but capri as in the Isle of Capri. Think not of fabric falling at one's mid calf, but of gorgeous blue ocean water and Italian villas. Why Capri blue? Well, the color of these tights is actually called ''Maliblu,'' which, in all honesty, I found just a tad corny. Sorry Hue. And what kind of nut must I be for renaming the colors of my tights? Haha, I don't have an answer to that.

In referencing the post I linked to in my opening sentence, I want to continue my thoughts on my sometimes-apprehension toward colored tights. While at times I have no problem injecting my wardrobe with colorful leg ware, sometimes I do. Why is that? I have no issues with wearing blue jeans or even purple jeans (yes, I said purple. Maybe I'll get around to sharing those one of these days!), pink corduroys, or green chinos. I wear colorful dresses, t-shirts, blouses, and sweaters with ease. What is it then about tights that makes me second guess my appreciation of (wearing) color? Is it because they're sometimes seen in a costume-y light? Perhaps. Do I worry what people might think? Or, gasp, even worse, say? Usually not, but let's get real, sometimes yes I do. I can't help it. Most days I want nothing more than to blend in and not stand out, so while I really like my colored tights they don't always make me feel comfortable. And that is ridiculous. I should be confident and comfortable enough to wear what I want whenever I want. So, here's to embracing colored tights and breaking free from this psychological nonsense that sometimes hinders my choice of dress.

If you've made it this far through my ramblings, the dress you see a glimpse of above makes it very easy for me to wear colored tights (as most any garment with a floral spray does). While my black, brown and grey tights get paired with this little dress quite often, so do those of maroon, green and blue. As much as I've worn this dress over the last few years, I think I've only ever blogged it one other time. Let's take a trip down blogging memory lane so readers old and new alike can get an idea of what it really looks like:


Photo from November 2009// Cardigan: H&M, Dress: thrifted, Necklace: self made, Tights: Hue, Shoes: Target

This post is all about tights, though, and not the dress. So... colored tights. I like them. And I think many of you do, too. Sometimes I'm apprehensive to wear them. What about you?

Share your thoughts!

15 comments:

Lexie said...

I've actually been trying to wear my red sweater tights once a week during winter because it really injects life into my outfits! I tend to favor black during post-holiday cold months ... colorful tights kinda balance that out!

I love that dress. Florals are just lovely.

Jan said...

My so-called best mate always remarks when I wear fluorescent pink ones that "tights should not be worn by girls past the age of 15" at which point I throw my drink over her and stomp off in my fabulous hosery (well not in real life but certainly in my dreamland). Coloured tights are fabulous! Anyone who says otherwise is just jealous that they dont know how to have as much fun :)

Sara Kristiina said...

Oh such a pretty dress! I like the print very much :)

You have a great blog!

-Sara
autumn, coffee and inspiration

SOJOURNED IN STYLE said...

I can't say I own a pair, but other bright bottoms i do. I myslef get wary and apprenhensive about colour sometimes, I want to test out the coals but am afraid of going into the fire. you pull of coloured tights swimimigly and should continue to do so

Raquel said...

I have a pair of tights in that exact shade of blue, and I never knew how to call them. I mean I have navy blue ones, and teal ones, but this specific colour never had a name, so now I'll call them Capri blue, thanks to you :D

I hear you on coloured tights, I love them, especially red and blues ones (or wouldn't those be my favourite two colours...) and I feel extra special while wearing them. But I get the most stares while wearing coloured tights and sometimes I'm just not in the mood to take that lightly.
Also, agreeing on the thought that floral dresses go well with an immense range of coloured tights, I can match my H&M one with all my bright and loved tights and that makes me happy!

Enough ramblings, it was nice to see a flashback picture from the blog ;)

PS: I still have your postcard to send you, I went to the post office the other day but it was so full that I turned around haha. I hope to send it to you tomorrow!

laura said...

I love the print on that dress. I love colored tights because my wardrobe is mostly black. So the tights make it more interesting. It's hard to find shades I like, though. most that are sold these days are way to bright for my tastes.

muchlove said...

lol @ "Maliblu" , that is a corny name.

You know I love colored tights and although I've gotten more comfortable in them (it took me a year before I dared wear my yellow tights in public!), there are still those days when I suddenly decide to take them off and change to a black pair just before I leave the apartment. It's like what you say, most of the time, I don't like the idea of standing out, I want to blend it, and I don't want risking the idea of people looking at my strangely colored legs and think that I'm very odd. Yes, I do care what people think. I'm not going to pretend otherwise.

On the other hand, I love colours and I love dressing up. I guess it depends on my mood and the environment I'm in. If I'm hanging out with close friends (who KNOW my style, and even appreciate it) or going to the city (there's some far wackier outfits out there!), then I won't feel as self conscious in my bright tights as when I'm out on my own around the suburbs.

Imogen said...

I love this colour of tights. I often have trouble finding coloured tights that go with my outfits but these would be perfect. I love the dress and I imagine how many different coloured tights you could wear with it. I love your pretty dresses Emily. In response to your comment, I agree. The quality of iphone pictures is actually quite good and better than I expected.

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys said...

I love coloured tights, but some days they're just a bit difficult. Better with a dress than a skirt I feel, and a patterned dress is always a bonus. Although I went through a big phase a few years ago of always wearing a black dress and coloured tights. I still think of that as a good look for me. : )

I love the Capri-blue, and also the olive tights that appear in the other outfit.

chelsea said...

I find it easy to wear black or burgundy tights. I love my red ones but I can't really wear them with my red coat, it's a little too much.
I too have trouble with blue tights. No idea why! I don't much like blue jeans, though. Maybe blue on bottom seems to casual to some part of my brain? Or I still have the blue and black together is bad mentality?

caitlin said...

i definitely love colored tights and have quite a collection, but it is true that i've been more reluctant to wear them as of late. some of my outfits in the past verged on clownish because there was just too much color and too many patterns and the tights pushed it over the edge. i think the key to colored tights is to wear them with a more muted outfit. still, i feel as if there is something a little bit unclassy or unsophisticated about them, so i occasionally swap them out for boring brown or bland black when i'm going for a more classic look.

Noelle Chantal said...

How I wish I can wear tights over my side of the world. The weather here is a bit crazy and pretty hot. So, wearing one is not very in.

But, I do love seeing people sporting the colored tights. Like the one you did with the floral dress paired with the moss tights. That color is so fresh! :)

Comtesse de ferveur said...

I have a bunch of REALLY bright tights (reds and fluoro pink) I am from time to time apprehensive about rocking out, but when I do, so glad! I love this shade of blue, really pretty - and your gorgeous dress!
xxx

Anonymous said...

:D You know I can't get enough of tights, especially light blues and pinks but I've envied your range of greens for a while now.

Somehow I always have far too many purple pairs (the supermarket does them so every time I go I seem to throw a pack in my cart) and my white ones always seem to have shoe stains. I got a big box brimming with tights but I still feel like I need more range.

They are like crayons to me. You can always do witha few shades more :D

Erin Cathleen said...

Colored tights and I have a love/hate relationship. My favorites are subtle, like eggplant, but I do have some "wild" teal tights. Woo-ee! I love your Capri-blue ones (I like your color description better, too)... not sure if I could pull them off myself, but it would sure be fun to try!