Friday, December 3, 2010

Back at the homestead

Fading autumn

I mulled over the idea of buying orange-y rust colored tights for about a year or so. My hesitancy stemmed from the worry they'd be too loud or crazy. Yes, this is coming from the girl with bright kelly green and colorful floral tights. I am a strange fickle thing. This is probably why I still haven't shown the world my Capri-blue tights. Someday, someday. Haha, anyway. Earlier this week I came across this fine little pair and decided they had to come home with me. The color is so wonderfully rich and terrifically autumn-esque. I want to wear them with everything! How silly I was for not getting rust colored tights when the thought first entered my head.

Fading autumn

Fading autumn

Fading autumn
Blouse: Metropolis Vintage in Albany, NY/ Skirt and tights: Forever 21
Belt: vintage/ Shoes: Aldo

Thumbs up for Sufjan

Here's a thumbs-up for Sufjan Stevens and his latest release! I can't stop listening to it. It's pure Sufjan genius. I don't fully understand why some think it was a difficult listen the first time around. Sure, it isn't exactly the folksy banjo-driven stuff Sufjan fans know and love, but it isn't any less brilliant. I like this direction he's taken- synthesizer, filtered vocals and all. My favorite track by far is the last one, "Impossible Soul." All 25 minutes of it.

What have you been listening to lately?

28 comments:

Laura said...

I've been listening to Swell Season. Brings back memories of their amazing free concert in Prospect Park this summer!

btw- had baklava tonight. oh, yeah.

www.adventuresindressingmyself.blogspot.com

muchlove said...

you look amazing Emily! I know what you mean about choosing colored tights. Despite my already colourful collection, I still get second thoughts when I want to get another "loud" color. Those rust tights are terrific btw, it does look very autumn-y.

Franca said...

the vintage blouse is beautiful, and I'm glad you got the tights!

Marise said...

I'm so happy I found your blog *-* That is a lovely lovely outfit and Sufjan Stevens is great! :')

Q's Daydream said...

They are wonderful on you! Let's se those capris ;o)

Raquel said...

Ohh this may be my new favourite outfit of yours!! I am glad you got these tights and wore them because you look great, really! I miss wearing me bright red tights too, though they're at Madeira. I usually get stares when I wear them but I don't mind...
As for the gif making, I use this site http://www.makeagif.com/ but there are others...

Hope you're having a great weekend.

Ariella said...

Before the pictures had completely loaded and I could only see the top part of your outfit I thought you looked right out of a 19th century novel. I think that vintage shirt looks amazing with the skirt and those tights, which gives your outfit such a nice modern contrast!

Diana said...

I love the tights with the blue skirt.

I see Sufjan as a musician, and growing up with musicians in my family, they change, evolve. I love it, too and glad to hear you do, too

chelsea said...

Oo! I love those tights! They are almost a neutral, so no wonder you want to wear them with everything. What a fantastic color!
As for tunes, I just picked up two cd's today that I am loving: Nina Simone (a kind of greatest hits disk) and Secret Sisters. They are kind of folksy, western, down home old fashioned songs, with a bunch of covers interspersed. I'll admit, I mostly wanted the album because the two lovely ladies of the band sport killer red lipstick on the album cover!

Anonymous said...

Looking great :) Love the tights on you and your blouse is just beautiful!

I've just come out of yet another Kings of Leon marathon listening period :)

Anonymous said...

Just listening to that tune (actually I've been listening for at least 10 minutes hehe)

Thanks for the recommendation. :)

Gabbi said...

I'm with Anna, you look amazing Emily! Love your blouse and braid look... effortlessly elegant. I tried listening to Sufjan's new album a few times on NPR's first listen and really couldn't get into it... some reason it was off for me. But currently can't stop playing his Christmas songs, such a fan of those!

kiss me quick said...

very victorian. You look really cute ^^

xxx kissmequick

Anonymous said...

Rather liked it, thanks :)

Sort of got me in the mood for another round of Department of Eagles & Grizzly Bear. Similarly off kilter if that makes any sense.

Anonymous said...

Just youtubing some other tracks (I hadn't come across Sufjan Stevens at all before)

Do you like other electronica? I am listening to a track from Enjoy your Rabbit now and I am wondering if you might enjoy Boards of Canada or Plaid too.

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys said...

What I find hilarious is that your kelly green tights are so much brighter than these ones! I love the rust colour, I bet it goes with so many things you own.

I listened to your recommended song and I actually do really like it, but I admit I was a bit disappointed when I first heard a song from the new Sufjan Stevens album. I guess I'm just such a folksy type, and I hoped he'd continue in that vein. Might have to get the album anyway though.

P.S. Maybe all Emilys just really like birds. My other favourites are hummingbirds. Flying gemstones. You?

TrophyBoutique said...

Good call on the tights. I don't think they are "too" anything...they're just right!

I like the title track on the Sufjan album myself...
xo
Laurel

The Sydney Girl said...

thanks for sharing! I listen to shoutcast.com all sorts of genres! :)
x

Imogen said...

I love the colour of your tights they go incredibly well with the colour of your skirt and I think they are the perfect shade. Your shirt is so pretty and the detailing is gorgeous. I adore the heart picture.

Jan said...

I've been listening to Great Lake Swimmers and I see from your profile that you're a fellow fan! I met them through a mutual friend when they played Dublin and Belfast last November and sat up eating toast with the boys til the wee hours....Sigh....what fun.

I really need to try Sufjan Stevens. Everyone raves about him and it's high time I give him a shot! iTunes here I come! Thanks for the suggestion :)

Erin Cathleen said...

Fun outfit! It looks so cute and vintage-y. I will have to give the new Sufjan a listen! :)

Lexie said...

i have been searching for a denim skirt that wasnt a mini! yours is adorable.

and i <3 new sufjan too.

Louise said...

Sheesh, I love those tights! And that skirt! This look is so wonderful.

Leire said...

I love colored tights! You look so pretty and that shirt is a dream! :)
Isn't Sufjan Stevens amazing??! :)

Margaret said...

aww you look really cute :)

callie said...

An adorable outfit! I especially love that pretty blouse.

Thank you so much for your sweet note on my blog. I laughed at your "New England complex" comment. (: My parents are both New Yorkers actually, so we visit quite often. They both lived in upstate New York for quite a while & we have lots of friends there. It's so beautiful & I love to visit!

lynnette said...

awww how pretty! :D you pull off that rustic look so well... i wish i had the guts to pull off awesomely colorful tights.. but i hate how Singaporeans in general aren't fashion conscious and will STARE at everything unconventional

Unknown said...

I adore that ruffled blouse on you, Emily. I feel like you should be reading some Austen and drinking tea in it. Still trying to work through the new Sufjan before I see him in concert in February. I fear my deep love of Illionoise Sufjan just won't let me enjoy this new album :(