Friday, October 14, 2011

On getting kittens to sit still and pose for pictures

Earlier this week my brother brought home a pair of kittens. Kittens! Needless to say, I've been extra jubilant since their arrival. A few years ago we endured the Tragic Cat Affair of 2006 (and 2007)* and afterward dad said no more cats. He seemed pretty serious even though I knew he'd cave eventually. And this past Tuesday was the day. Before I went to bed that night, he nonchalantly asked "have you talked to your brother today?" "No, why?" "He's brought home some kittens." KITTENS! I love the little critters, can you tell? So, obviously, I had to stay up until he came home with them (he and his girlfriend had taken them to her house for a while). They took charge and named them right off, which I found only fair because I've named plenty a-cat in my day. The little darlings are Callie (short for Calico) and Molly. I've already taken to calling them Callie Cat and Miss Molly.


Callie:



Molly:




*The Tragic Cat Affair of 2006 (and 2007) was as follows: first we lost my sweet baby Dinah who had just given birth to a litter of kittens. She went out one night and never came back. Although we tried caring for the babies, they did not survive. Not long after, the cat-love-of-my-life, Chloe (a big, overweight grey fluffball), went out one night and never returned. Dad thinks it likely that a fisher got them. Then in 2007, it got a little worse. Both my uncle's cat and my brother's cat met the same fate. I told you it was tragic.

I still think on it at times and am overcome by a fresh wave of sadness. These new little rascals have sure won us over, though. Love them. ♥

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aaaw kittens are so cute! I'm glad there's new cats in your home despite your feline family sad past.
I adopted a couple of cats earlier this year however they were already adults, I miss having playful kittens like yours around :)

chelsea said...

Kittens! I made Dominic come in and look at these pictures and he squealed. Seriously. Do you think you'll keep them as indoor cats? I too had a cat love of my life, Jackson, who never came home one night, so I completely know how it feels. I'm sorry for your kitty tragedies, but these bundles of fur will sure to spark new happy memories!
Also, my in laws have a calico name Callie too, though they spell it Kali.

Anonymous said...

let's not talk about tragic.. not in front of the kittens! The kittens are cute! the kittens are sweet! the kittens are lovey! The kittens will be fine! I wish wish wish I had kittens (I have 3 CATS, but not KITTENS anymore) because they're so playful and fun and cute and sweet and will sleep with me every night!

can you tell I'm excited?
Hope you have a happy weekend!
♥ laura

the blog of worldly delights

Heather, 29 Skirts said...

Aughhh, these kittens are killing me with their cuteness! That photo of just the mewing mouth is almost unbearably adorable. I'm glad you have these kitties in your life now, but those stories really are tragic. I don't know how I would handle it if Zeus disappeared. Seriously, he is a family member. Well, I look forward to more kitty photos!

kater said...

This just melted my heart!

We had a very bad year as well, and my dad was the same way! No more cats! Because he couldn't bear losing them again :( But I've almost worn him down again!

Raquel said...

Awwww they are so cute!! You really made me miss my cat, I left her at my boyfriend's because I didn't want to put her through quarantine and to live in a closed apartment when she is used to be with her mom and being free to go anywhere she wants, but i really miss her!
I am sad with all those kitty stories, my sister's Oscar died and she still is affected by it so I know what you must feel!

Rebeccak said...

Awwwww!! awwwwww and awwwww! hahaha. Too cute. Please take bazillions of photos! I will never get tired of 'aww-ing'

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys said...

Awww, kittens! How wonderful! I'm looking forward to watching them grow up on your blog, which I'm sure is about to turn into kitten zone for a while!

My friends I lived with for a while lost two cats to coyotes, but yours is truly tragic...

muchlove said...

awww these kittens are the cutest!!!