Monday, October 17, 2011

A thing of beauty is a joy for ever

Edwardian blouse

Edwardian blouse

I indulged a bit today and bought this Edwardian era blouse (although I really shouldn't have - what with trying to save money and all that) at an area antique mall. I just couldn't leave this beauty behind - again. I passed on it back in the spring for several practical and silly reasons, but told myself if it was still available on my next visit (I only go two or three times a year) I'd buy it. Well, it's easy to see from these photos that it was still there and that I did in fact bring it home. Hurray! It's in remarkably good condition considering its age. I have noticed only one or two spots, one or two holes and only one of its shell buttons is broken (don't worry about the grass and the concrete you see in the second photo. The blouse was photographed from the safety of my lap). I'm going to be a little dramatic now and say that its loveliness breaks my heart just a bit. I wish it was practical to have a wardrobe full of wearable antique elegance. Just look at that windowpane cotton and eyelet trim. Sigh.

10 comments:

The Semi Sweet said...

That is beautiful!!

Rebeccak said...

Totally worth it! I'd love to learn to do that sort of crocheting - my mum keeps telling me how easy it is! But so far... no offer to teach me! hah!

Anonymous said...

wow, Emily! What a great addition to your wardrobe (I'm assuming you'll wear the beauty, right?)
♥ laura
the blog of worldly delights
enter my Shabby Apple giveaway

Joy Soltys said...

What an amazing find! I hope we get to see what it looks like on!

Heather, 29 Skirts said...

It is so beautiful and delicate looking and, wow, in amazing condition! Hmm, looking at this blouse makes me want to watch a few episodes of Road to Avonlea. (And, yes, I do have the first five seasons on DVD.) Edwardian clothing is just gorgeous.

Haus of Style said...

Gorgeous blouse. It's so romantic and delicate looking. What an awesome find and can't wait to see you put an outfit together with it!

http://justtututiny.blogspot.com/
Thu

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys said...

It's lovely. I"m so glad you finally got it! Can't wait to see it debuted in outfit form at some point, Emily!

Anonymous said...

What a precious blouse, so beautiful and delicate and in such good shape too! I understand you being worried about damaging it but I hope to see you wearing it someday.

Aya Smith said...

Oh my, an Edwardian blouse! I think it is permissible to indulge in such a magnificent item... it's not every day you encounter such a beauty!

Aya ♥ Strawberry Koi

Raquel said...

It is a totally worth indulgence!
I stumbled across a similar dress in the car boot sale last week, but refrained to get it since I already had spent the money I set myself to spend that day :|