Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Songbird

I have spent some time over the last few days watching old musicals featuring the ever so lovely Jane Powell.

The above images are from 1951's Royal Wedding in which Jane stars opposite Fred Astaire. If one can have fun while watching a movie, I surely did while watching this!

I first became an admirer of Jane one weekend afternoon as a teenager flipping lazily through the television channels. Seven Brides for Seven Brothers was airing on Turner Classic Movies and from then on I had an all-time favorite movie. I found Jane's voice to be exceptionally beautiful; so strong and powerful, yet warm and soft.

Today I watched Delightfully Dangerous, one of Jane's earliest films. She was just 15 when it came out in 1945 and my, it was really one of the sweetest things I have ever seen! A few clips can be found here if you are interested. I must also note that I was completely captivated with the '40s fashion. I like being, if only temporarily, transported to previous eras through film.

6 comments:

Amelia said...

She looks really cute. I love old movies, though I haven't really seen enough.

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

Oh! I love Jane and "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers" if one of my favorites as well! The music and dancing is fantastic. The men so athletic!

Ariella said...

She looks so pretty! I am not really familiar with any of her films, but if I stumble upon any, I'll be sure to check them out.

Happy new year!

Merily said...

Have a fantastic new year, darling!

Lexie said...

i desperately need to catch up on my classic movies! these images are lovely.

OhDearLeah said...

hope you had a good one!