Friday, December 12, 2008

Winter Wonderland


A significant ice storm passed through the region over night and into the morning. The world looks beautiful encased under all the ice, but driving this morning proved to be quite difficult. I encountered detour after detour on my way to campus for an exam. Trees and power lines were down, ponds and streams had flooded. There were several occurrences when I didn't really know where I was! There are many back-roads around here and I traveled a few that were new to me. Whilst driving along these routes I was able to glimpse many beautiful, old Colonial-style homes. I do not know a lot when it comes to building and construction, but I am definitely a fan of Colonial architecture (specifically that of the New England, Dutch, Georgian, and Colonial Revival type). Homes in this style look so cozy and welcoming and are very aesthetically pleasing, in my opinion. Here is a small photo gallery of varying Colonial-style homes with a brief corresponding history.

4 comments:

Andrea Eames said...

So pretty!

Amelia said...

Ooh, I like Colonial homes--they do look very cozy and New England-y. I would love a little snow and, fortunately, it's in the forecast.

Lexie said...

i am dying to visit new england. i know i would just fall in love.

Emily, Resplendent Tranquility said...

a cat of impossible colour - it is! :)

amelia & copperoranges - for as long as i can remember i've had severe new england envy. i live on the border of new york & massachusetts. i'm so close, yet so far away as new york is only considered to be part of the northeast. sigh.