Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Wearing Artwork

This is a ring I have worn nearly every day for a number of years now. Given as a gift while I was in my teens, it features part of the cherubim detail found on Raphael's early 16th-century painting the Sistine Madonna.


While the recognizable cherubim have become a pop culture mainstay, I have always preferred to admire the painting as a whole. I love the grace that radiates from Raphael's work, replete with soft lines and soft color. It was during my teenage years that I proclaimed Raphael as my favorite Italian Renaissance artist. I have been fortunate enough to see some of his unmatched mastery in person while on a trip to Italy in 2003. Housed in Room 26 of the Uffizi Gallery in Florence is a small collection of paintings owing their existence to this great master. A revelry for my eyes, I strolled from painting to painting making sure not to forget the moment. I haven't, and often look back on my delightful afternoon with the Uffizi with laughter. You see, I was only 17 at the time and under strict orders to "remain with your group at all times!" and "remember you are in a foreign country!" Well, as my group casually strolled past Botticelli's The Birth of Venus, I remained transfixed there under the painting's majesty for nearly 15 minutes - I couldn't help myself nor give up the opportunity to view this encyclopedia page come to life. It was then, after the Botticelli-admiring portion of my soul was full, that I made my way, alone, to see the works of Raphael entrusted to the Uffizi. I hope that someday future travels will lead me to other museums and galleries where his paintings are present.

Do you have a favorite artist and/or period in art history? A favorite painting? Let me know, I love to see what moves people!

15 comments:

alexandra grecco said...

lovely blog. xxx

Lexie said...

i barely even remember art now that i'm so immersed in poetry!

i looooove joan miro. i cant explain why. he just speaks to me.

Blair said...

Wow, I definitely like the work as a whole instead of just the cherubs!

My favorite is the Romantic period...:)

<3

Toni said...

i love this story behind your ring. very cool. my favorite painting is The Starry Night by Van Gogh. His paintings really relax me. And because of his brush strokes, I always finds something I didn't notice before.

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

That ring is lovely. I loved your description of the art and its affect on you.
Art Nouveau is my favorite period in art--I love the fluidity of line and inspiration from nature, but I actually don't have a favorite artist from that period! I should get on that...

Unknown said...

I love Raphael. My favourite of his is Donna Velata. It's gorgeous. And so is your ring.

Narumi said...

I love the ring with the wild flowers background :) My favorite artist is Claude Monet an impressionist painter !

yiqin; said...

I don't look at art very often. The one I know of is only the last supper because of the da vinci code! :/

Lauren said...

I love art from the Renaissance period also. Lately I've been looking at a lot of Spanish artists' work, like Goya and Velasquez. I have many favorite artists, some being Picasso, Miro, Mary Cassatt, Van Gogh, and Degas. My favorite painting would have to be Starry Night.

Nicki's Notebook said...

My fave painting is 'The dancer Anita Berber' by Otto Dix.

ps - would love to exchange links hun! xx

Amelia said...

The ring looks really pretty. I've always had a thing for Monet, but I honestly don't know very much about art history. I should fix that.

Raquel said...

the ring is gorgeous! I guess my favourite era is the renaissance but i don't have eye for art.
xx

Ariella said...

That's a pretty ring! I really wish I knew more about art... I'm quite ashamed that I don't since it's something I should know more about. I can't really say what my favourite painting is, but I do like the romantic era a lot.

Jen said...

Wow, that ring is so beautiful and intricate!! I loved studying classics when i was in school and really connected with ancient Rome and all the art/architecture and styles that came out of that period - its just a touch romantic :)

Emily, Resplendent Tranquility said...

Thanks everyone for your replies! :)