Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Equations and reveries

Spring weather + Driving + Listening to Iron and Wine = Waves of pleasant tumult in my heart.

"Resurrection Fern" by Iron and Wine


MusicPlaylist
Music Playlist at MixPod.com



Sometimes it is hard for me to express how I feel when something penetrates me in such a way I feel almost paralyzed. The music of Iron and Wine does this to me on a regular basis. With my own creativity waning, leaving me parched and dry, I often relate to and feel alive in the expressions of others. A while ago, I explained this in a somewhat similar manner. To paraphrase myself (assuming you clicked the link and read the blog entry there), it is like a sweet intoxication soothing and nurturing the abrasive fragments churning inside me. I never feel badly when this happens. It simply helps to polish the shards into smooth recognizable thoughts, sending me into serene reverie.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

iorn&wine is beautiful, I love this song

Lexie said...

i LOVE iron and wine. i have been on the look out for songwriters who are more poetic in nature and few top iron and wine.

Erin Cathleen said...

I listened to every Iron & Wine album, plus the one with Calexico, all the way through whilst reading this amazing book called "Peace Like a River," by Leif Enger. I highly recommend putting Enger and Iron & Wine together; from different places and time, their separate creative sparks somehow fuse brilliantly. You'd probably love that book! :)

Diana said...

Ha, i agree. map making is tough. i was never good at it.

i love this song, too! Perfect for Spring!

Amelia said...

Wow, I totally know what you mean about feeling paralyzed. I totally get that way when I read an amazing passage in a book or see a brilliant play or movie. For me, it's kind of sadness. I don't know why--I guess it's sort of about questioning why I've never experienced emotions like the one expressed or why everything in life isn't so perfectly laid out. Yet, at the same time, there's also an extreme sense of connection to the work. It's really sublime. I wish I came across things that gave me that feeling more often.

Unknown said...

Music soothes the beast. And Iron and Wine is particularly soothing.

Anonymous said...

beautiful song, dear. I do get the same feeling sometimes, the feeling when words don't work...
xx

Ariella said...

I do think I understand to some extrent how you feel. I feel something similar to that now and then, but I think it's a good thing as well - and makes me feel that I get to know myself better, in a way.

Em said...

I can understand I think what you mean. They are very very good. They have such an amazing and tranquil sound.

xx

Raquel said...

thanks darling! you put a smile on my face!
now for one week I'll be able to rest! and finally do the tag you gave me!!
xx

tis serendipity said...

You express things beautifully all the time. Though I can understand the feeling of having a lack of inspiration. Music is such a good antidote for it. I really do love the soothing feel of this song.